First ‘State of the ASM’ not well-attended

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]ASM_BC[/media-credit]

Three reporters and six ASM members were the only people to show up Tuesday night to hear the Associated Students of Madison’s “State of the ASM” address.

ASM Chair Gestina Sewell said she was not surprised by the lack of turnout, adding she did not know how or if the event was publicized.

The newly formed Outreach Committee, Sewell added, is working on better ways to connect with the student body.

ASM Legislative Affairs Committee Chair Hannah Karns, who also serves as a staff writer for The Badger Herald, said the committee will do more to incorporate students and get feedback.

The first State of the ASM address — which had been called ASM’s Town Hall meeting — focused on working toward unification in the upcoming session starting May 1.

Reports from the Legislative Affairs, Campus Relations, Diversity, Academic Affairs, Student Activity Center, Finance and Student Services Finance Committees included work achieved in this year’s session and plans for the next academic year’s session.

SSFC Chair Alex Gallagher said there are plans in the works to build a new Natatorium on the footprint of the old building.

“Their projected cost is about $56 million, and right now they’re only assuming that would come from seg fees,” Gallagher said. “They haven’t secured any external or state funding.”

The project, if approved for funding from segregated fees, would add an additional $60 to student costs per year for the next 20 to 30 years.

Gallagher also said — addressing his “fellow Badgers” — that “the state of student-segregated fees is, well, a little better.” He pointed to “very straightforward” actions to provide stability to the fund, including changes to eligibility rules that will make it harder for certain groups to get GSSF funding. SSFC has cut more than $670,000 from the fund.

When asked the state of Student Council, ASM Academic Affairs Committee Chair Jessica Pavlic said discussions have focused on changing bylaws to make it “more legitimate.”

“The student council members we have appointed for next year are going to be very, very dedicated to making sure that ASM does become more legitimate, and I think that is going to show next year,” Pavlic said.

Pavlic also said it is important for all Student Council members to be in attendance for meetings. SC members often do not realize the time commitment when they sign up for the position, she added, and as a result, members often do not come or don’t stay for the whole meeting.

“You can’t expect to be done with a meeting in three hours after two weeks of being away from council,” Pavlic said. “That is not how important decisions are made.”

Karns, along with Pavlic and Gallagher, are incoming representatives of Student Council.

Pavlic also addressed the success of ASM’s Textbook Swap. ASM has already set a date for the fall swap, which will be the Monday before classes start in the fall, and has plans to expand the event across campus. It will eventually become a semi-annual event.