WiCell chooses new executive

A primary patent body associated with the University of Wisconsin’s biotechnology development selected its first executive director Wednesday, ending a six-month long search by the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation.

Erik Forsberg will fill the position that had been unofficially held by WARF Managing Director Carl Gulbrandsen, who was performing the responsibilities of the WiCell executive director.

Janet Kelly, WARF communications director, said Forsberg “will be directing all operations of the WiCell Institute,” which is an affiliate of WARF.

“Erik will have a much more hands-on role as executive director,” Kelly said.

As WiCell executive director, Forsberg will be in charge of the National Stem Cell Bank, the only nationwide program of its kind that provides storage and distribution of stem cell lines to federally funded research projects, according to Kelly.

WiCell hosts and operates the bank for the National Institute of Health.

Kelly added Forsberg was selected after an international search process. He is an inventor named on several patents, and he has worked as an associate professor at UW in the past.

“He was well-known and came highly recommended by researchers that work closely with WARF,” Kelly said.

In a statement, Gulbrandsen said Forsberg has many qualities that make him qualified for the position.

“Erik brings to WiCell impressive academic credentials, an innovative scientific background and hands-on commercial and management experience,” Gulbrandsen said. “These strengths, combined with his in-depth knowledge of UW-Madison and the international scientific community, make him an exceptional leader for WiCell.”

Kelly said while Forsberg will be the new executive director of WiCell, Gulbrandsen will remain involved in the operations as the president. He will still have some oversight of the operations, she added.

WiCell was established in 1999 as a private, non-profit supporting organization to advance stem cell research at UW, according to Kelly.

The institute conducts and funds stem cell research; it also provides training for scientists as well as educational outreach programs for students.

She added the establishment is not officially part of the university, much like WARF itself, which trademarks UW discoveries and protects those trademarks.