Education leader, past regent dies

A former Madison East High School principal and member of the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents died of cancer Saturday night at the age of 68.

According to Regent David Walsh, Milton McPike was a man who instilled pride and self-respect in the students of Madison East, where he served as principal for 23 years. Walsh served on the Board of Regents for each of McPike’s four years as a regent.  

“He was a man who could relate to every individual, businessperson and especially students,” Walsh said. “He truly cared about students.”

McPike worked to improve the lives and education of students throughout his years at the high school and while serving on the Board of Regents.

“His leadership and influence on this school and community have and will continue to be an important part of the values associated with East Side pride,” East High Principal Alan Harris said in a statement. “He touched the lives of hundreds of teachers and thousands of students with his passion for education and student success.”

Because of McPike, students at East High receive different kinds of scholarships every year from community members, according to Joe Quick, legislative liaison for the Madison Metropolitan School District. 

Walsh said McPike was very concerned with accessibility to secondary education for all students. He wanted to make UW accessible to everyone, in particular students with financial issues, but also those with other problems as well, Walsh said. 

He understood deeply the importance of access to quality education and the obligation to ensure a welcoming learning environment for all Wisconsin students,” UW System President Kevin Reilly said in a statement. “As a member of the Board of Regents for nearly four years, his breadth of experience and untiring compassion inspired open hearts and open minds in all of us.”  

MMSD Superintendent Art Rainwater said thousands of students benefited from relationships with McPike and added, “Milt was all about relationships even before relationships became part of our educational framework.”