State smoking line fields record 20,000 calls

In the wake of a $1 cigarette tax bump in January, the number of calls to the Wisconsin Tobacco Quit Line in 2008 has shattered previous records as the state?s smokers scramble to quit.

More than 20,000 Wisconsin residents have contacted the Tobacco Quit Line in January and February combined, shooting ahead of typical yearly averages of between 9,000 and 10,000 callers, according to Rob Adist, outreach program manager for the University of Wisconsin Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, which works with the state to manage the quit line.

Adist attributed the rise in callers to both New Year?s resolutions and the tax increase, which he called ?a strong policy that inspires many people to make a quit attempt.?

Of the 20,000 who have called, 96 percent sought further assistance from the quit line. Ninety percent were current tobacco users, and the remaining 10 percent were friends or family seeking advice for a tobacco user.

Around 40 percent were either uninsured or on Medicaid, Adist said.

?It?s good that these resources are going to the people with the fewest resources,? he said. ?They get information on how to use the medications appropriately, what?s the best way to put a plan together and tips for when you have cravings, all over the phone.?

Gov. Jim Doyle sees the increase of callers as a result of the tax he advocated, according to spokesperson Carla Vigue.

?We are seeing evidence of people trying to quit smoking, which is probably a result of the governor?s initiative, mainly the substantial increase of the cigarette tax,? Vigue said.

In January, the quit line began offering trial medication to Wisconsin residents looking to quit, a move that Adist also believed inspired more people to call and ask for help quitting.

Callers can choose a two-week supply of the nicotine gum, patches or throat lozenges, paid for by the quit line. From there, the coaches work with the caller?s health care professional to set up a longer-term plan of two to three months.

Coaches may also call back callers up to four times to check in on their progress and give further advice.

The quit line operates daily 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. and can be reached by dialing 1-800-QUIT-NOW or at its website, www.wiquitline.org.