City officials bust marijuana dealer

Some Madison pot smokers will have to find a new dealer, as Madison Police and Fire Departments busted and arrested the owner of a marijuana growing operation Tuesday afternoon.

According to police, Eric Lemke, 28, was arrested and tentatively charged with maintaining a drug dwelling, possession and manufacturing marijuana with intent to deal at his apartment on the 1800 block of Fordem Avenue.

MPD and MFD responded to a call around 12:23 p.m. about smoke that was filling the entire second floor of the apartment building, said Joel DeSpain, public information officer for the MPD.

When officers arrived, they began knocking on doors to evacuate all residents from the building and realized the smoke was coming out of one particular apartment, the report said. The resident inside refused to open the door, insisting he was just burning sage.

Despite the resident?s refusal, firefighters entered the apartment and found a substance smoking and smoldering on an ashtray. According to the report, firefighters found a marijuana growing operation in a bedroom while they were checking for more sources of smoke.

The room contained custom ductwork to hide the smell of the marijuana plants, the report said.

Members of the Dane County Narcotics and Gang Task Force were called to the apartment where they seized 44 plants.

Calls to the Dane County Narcotics and Gang Task Force were not returned by press time.