State reveals murder details

After reviewing the case for four months, Forest County District Attorney Leon Stenz announced Thursday that no charges will be brought against the acquaintances of the shooter from the October shootings in Crandon, Wis., that left seven dead.

The Department of Justice?s Division of Criminal Investigation also released a detailed report of the day?s events, including transcripts of the investigation?s interviews and autopsy reports.

In the early hours of Oct. 7, Crandon sheriff?s deputy Tyler Peterson opened fire with his police-issued AR-15 rifle on seven of his friends, killing six of them. He then drove around upstate Wisconsin, evading police until returning to the nearby town of Argonne and the cabin of his friend, Mary Kegley.

Peterson held hostages inside the cabin until around 12:30 p.m. when he made a run for it. He was shot in the left bicep by a police sniper, then proceeded to commit suicide by shooting himself three times in the head.

Between when Peterson committed the murders and when he locked himself and the hostages in the cabin, he made contact with multiple friends, his mother and his grandmother.

Stenz decided not to bring charges of aiding and abiding against any of Peterson?s contacts, saying that he did not think he could convince a jury to convict them.

?It?s inappropriate to bring charges if I don?t think I can sustain the burden of proof,? Stenz said.

One of Peterson?s victims was his ex-girlfriend Jordanne Murray, whom he believed had been involved with a mutual acquaintance, also killed that evening.

That was Peterson?s motive for his rampage, and the fact that he was taunted at the Hazeldell Avenue apartment didn?t help, according to DCI Acting Administrator Mike Myszewski.

?Those at the Hazeldell apartment called him a worthless pig, and he snapped,? Myszewski said.

Myszewski said it was difficult for law enforcement to find Peterson between when the shootings took place at 2:45 a.m. and when he locked himself in the cabin at 9:15 a.m.

Nearly 18 different law enforcement agencies were looking for Peterson, but he made it difficult, telling friends and family that he was going to Stevens Point or that he was in Michigan?s Upper Peninsula.

?Tyler Peterson knew law enforcement tactics,? Myszewski said. ?He knew the area very well and had access to law enforcement communications through the radio he kept in his truck.?

Questions also arose as to how it was possible for Peterson to shoot himself three times in the head without dropping the gun. DCI Special Agent Brad Kust said neither of the first two shots entered his brain and that Peterson was legally drunk at the time of his death. Clearly, Kust said, Peterson was ?determined? to kill himself.

?It took a third shot, which entered the right side of Peterson?s head ? to cause death,? Kust said.

View The City Within blog post related to this article here.