Baldwin comes to Madison to voice support for Clinton

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]StudentsFH_BC[/media-credit]

The results came in, and cheers went up.

Interrupting Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton ? who was reminding those in attendance that Wisconsin will likely play an important role in the choosing of the Democratic candidate for president ? the crowd assembled inside the Angelic Brewing Company responded loudly to the television pundits’ prediction that Hillary Clinton would win the Massachusetts primary.

“Massachusetts, it’s amazing after (Sen. Ted) Kennedy’s endorsement of Obama that she still won,” said Pasha Sternberg, chair of UW Students for Hillary Clinton. “It’s going great. It’s a great night.”

That was the prevailing feeling Tuesday night at the primary results-watching event organized by Students for Hillary Clinton. A healthy contingent of Clinton supporters showed up, highlighted by Lawton, U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, and Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk.

“All that she has done all of her life … has prepared her for this moment to lead our country,” Lawton said, later emphasizing that Clinton’s dedication to universal health care for all Americans is not rivaled by Obama?s.

Sternberg echoed that sentiment, adding how Clinton’s health care plan would affect students.

“In a few years, we’ll be out in the real world,” Sternberg said. “We’re going to need health insurance. Her plan covers everything. And that’s huge.”

Health care was a common rallying cry among Clinton supporters Tuesday, but Baldwin was sure to point out other issues relevant to college-aged voters.

“Students are interested in every issue, and in particular, future-oriented issues,” Baldwin said. “To be specific, getting out of the war in Iraq is No. 1. College students today are studying aside people who have been deployed to Iraq and are so convinced we need to get out.”

Clinton’s experience as both a senator and a first lady is also seen as an important attribute.

“She has the experience both in foreign policy and domestic policy to deal with foreign relations right now and also to deal with what looks like an economic crisis,” said Kitty Moran, a graduate student in Medical Physics.

With the results of Super Tuesday leaving no shoo-in winner in the Democratic race, Wisconsin now looks to play a crucial role in the selection process with its Feb. 19 primary.

“It’s very exciting to know that we are going to be front and center for a week,” College Democrats Chair Oliver Kiefer said, while not endorsing a candidate. “We’re really excited to be a part of that.”

Falk echoed Kiefer’s sentiments and added that Clinton will be Wisconsin’s candidate.

“After tonight, all eyes turn on Wisconsin,” Falk said. “What we’ll be showing the nation is that Sen. Clinton is the best person to take office from day one. She’s tried; she’s true … She’s the most qualified. She’s the most experienced.”

Aside from a gathering of members of Students for Clinton, the rally also drummed up new interest in the campaign. Sternberg said he was thrilled with the turnout and that more than 50 students signed up to support Clinton at the rally, bringing his group’s membership to well over 300. 

Clarification: Due to an editing error, this article’s headline should not have implied Rep. Baldwin visited Madison only to support Hillary Clinton. The congresswoman lives in Madison and works in Washington D.C. We regret the error.