Alder proposes documentation

The days of accusations of landlords falsely charging tenants for property damage may end if a proposal to require photographic proof of the damages passes tomorrow night at the Housing Committee meeting. >

Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, crafted and introduced the photo ordinance last year to stop landlords from inventing damages and deducting from tenants? security deposits.

?It shows that things landlords claimed actually happened,? Judge said.

The photo ordinance would require all landlords in Madison to present photographic proof of any property damage in order to deduct from a tenant?s security deposit ? the money a tenant puts down before signing the lease. It is kept as a guarantee the tenant will not damage the apartment and pay the rent.

Currently, landlords do not need to present proof of damage to take money out of a tenant?s security deposit.

Working with students throughout Madison and landlords who manage massive developments like the Embassy, Judge said he has heard nothing but praise for the photo ordinance. ?Many students have told me, ?This isn?t a law already” Judge added.

According to Judge, complaints come from landlords of smaller properties who say the ordinance constitutes over-regulation and would be an added burden.

Lee Glauser, a University of Wisconsin senior, lived at La Ciel two years ago and experienced a landlord deducting $100-200 from his security deposit because the cleanliness of his refrigerator and dish washer were not ?up to their standards.?

?It was ridiculous,? Glauser said. La Ciel is under new management now, he added.

The Housing Committee will discuss the photo ordinance, with a few new ?more owner-friendly? amendments at 5 p.m. Wednesday in the Madison Municipal building. Judge said he encourages students to attend and to share their feedback.

?This is a very important student issue,? Judge said. ?It?s really something that should and needs to be done.?