Alders tackle snow parking issues

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Snow_JS[/media-credit]

Downtown alders concerned with student awareness of Madison?s snow emergency policies are working to provide information about procedures during periods of heavy snowfall.

The alders convened in response to several December snowfalls that left many city streets unplowed, cars plowed in and residents in danger because of poorly plowed streets.

Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, a University of Wisconsin junior, said many students do not read city newspapers or online press releases where the city posts snow emergency declarations.

?Our biggest problem is that it is very difficult to get messages out to students,? Judge said.

Al Schumacher, Madison?s streets superintendent, said although information is distributed through the city of Madison website and local news media, students are still unaware of where to park during city-declared snow emergencies, making it extremely difficult for city staff to clear streets effectively.

?There are a great deal of students who are not hearing the message,? Schumacher said. ?They aren?t moving their cars.?

Snow emergency days are declared whenever it is necessary to plow residential streets.

Judge created a Facebook group in late December called ?Madison Snow Emergency News? to make information about city snow removal available to students.

Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, posted up-to-date information on the group?s discussion board concerning Madison?s parking rules, emergency numbers and a Dec. 21 memo from Mayor Dave Cieslewicz outlining ideas for a citywide snow emergency policy.

?We are trying to figure out some way we will better reach students,? said Ald. Brenda Konkel, District 2. ?We?ve got to use technology that exists out there.?

Campus newspaper websites are another source to find information about emergency snow warnings, Judge said.

?These are good first steps, but it is still a work in progress,? he added.

Ideally, Judge said the city would like to collaborate with UW administration to send campuswide e-mails to students in case of any snow emergencies.

According to Konkel, UW has been reluctant to cooperate because of the costs of sending e-mails campuswide.

?It is ridiculous that they?re not being more helpful and trying to charge the city $3,000 to send out campuswide e-mail alerts,? Konkel said.

However, Brian Rust, the communications manager for UW?s Division of Information Technology said sending a uniform e-mail to 40,000 students would cost $1,350.

The city is considering a number of ways to improve snow removal effectiveness, including raising snow emergency parking citation penalties from $30 to $60, increasing availability of off-street parking, beginning free garage parking times at 9 p.m. instead of 1 a.m. and allowing free parking in certain lots.

?There is no question that something has to be done for us to clear and plow the streets more effectively,? Schumacher said.