College Democrats host legislators

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]CollegeDems_BC[/media-credit]

State legislators highlighted the power of student voices in swaying policy and elections during a discussion with University of Wisconsin students Monday.

The College Democrats of Madison hosted their State Government Forum, in which one state senator and five state representatives talked about issues in local policy and politics ranging from funding for UW to the Safe Climate Act to the recently passed state budget.

A major topic of discussion within the forum was a recurring exchange between legislators and students regarding levels of student involvement in local politics, in both attention to policy and participation in campaigns and elections.

"You could really argue that no one has more at stake than you folks in this room," Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, said.

Several of the legislators and students present said having personal connections to issues is vital for spurring political involvement among young people, comparing legislators' experience with UW activism surrounding the Vietnam War to last year’s constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

"I think the administration has done a very good job of insulating the rest of us from [the war in Iraq], and in many ways that prevents us from becoming very active and involved citizens," College Democrats Chair Oliver Kiefer said. "Our lives are going along OK, and so we're not going to get all up in arms."

Parisi gave an account of his experience going from a high school dropout to working toward his degree, saying the work-study and financial aid available to him at the time contributed to an environment where everyone has the opportunity to succeed, and have a part of the American Dream.

"If we don't invest our resources and continue to make those things a priority, we're going to lose the American Dream," Parisi said. "How can we turn our back on the economic engine that is the University of Wisconsin? That would just be crazy, yet that battle is raging right down the street — that's a lot of what this recent budget was about."

Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison, said the overwhelmingly negative media coverage of the recently passed state budget was unwarranted.

"It's really not sexy to say, 'Wow, this was a really good compromise budget we've got,'" Pocan said.

Pocan added he is disappointed domestic partner benefits for UW faculty were not included in the budget, but predicted they would be approved within the next two years.

"It's really not a question of if we get the DP benefits, it's when," Pocan said.

Representatives from the Wisconsin Student Public Interest Research Group gave a short presentation at the beginning of the forum promoting the Safe Climate Act, an initiative to reduce carbon emissions to their 1990 levels.

Sen. Mark Miller, D-Monona, said this is the one piece of legislation he would like to see passed this year, if forced to choose.

"I can almost guarantee it won't pass in the Assembly," College Republicans Chair Mattie Duppler said of the Safe Climate Act. "It really is antithetical to everything we stand for."

Duppler said though Madison is predominantly progressive in its voting patterns, this year she hopes to see conservatives involved as well.

"Campaigns tend to bring people out of the woodwork on both sides of the aisle, for better or for worse," Duppler said.

Correction: Due to a reporting error, this article should have cited Mattie Duppler as Vice

Chair of College Republicans. We regret the error.