FEMA offers state drought assistance

Wisconsin farmers now have the opportunity to receive financial aid for devastating crop losses after droughts and floods this summer.

Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle’s request for 42 counties throughout the state to be declared disaster areas was met Wednesday by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Donna Gilson, spokesperson for the University of Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection said farmers from each county deemed a disaster area will be eligible for financial assistance.

“Low-interest emergency loans automatically become available to farmers in [each] county,” Gilson said. “Farmers still need to apply, document they had at least 30 percent crop loss, and prove they will be able to repay the loan.”

Farmers in the counties can apply for financial assistance from the federal government until June 18, 2008. In order to qualify for aid, the counties had to have at least one farm with 30 percent minimum loss in crop reduction since April 1.

Although the U.S. Department of Agriculture aims to provide a safety net for farmers with the low-interest loan recovery system, some Wisconsin farmers say the USDA should be eliminated completely.

According to Dan Deneen, owner of Black Earth Valley Produce in Mazomanie, Wis., the USDA has no place intervening with local farmers.

“When you allow that power to go to Washington, that power is going to be manipulated by big money and the big special interests,” Deneen said. “Just eliminate it completely and bring it back to a very local level.”

The counties declared disaster areas are Adams, Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Brown, Buffalo, Burnett, Calumet, Chippewa, Clark, Door, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Florence, Forest, Iron, Juneau, Kewaunee, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marinette, Marquette, Menominee, Monroe, Oconto, Oneida, Outagamie, Pierce, Polk, Portage, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Shawano, St. Croix, Taylor, Vilas, Washburn, Waushara and Wood.

Since this past summer’s droughts and floods occurred across county lines, farmers in adjacent counties will also be able to apply for aid.

Farmers in Colombia, Fond du Lac, Green Lake, Jackson, La Crosse, Manitowoc, Pepin, Sauk, Sheboygan, Trempealeau, Vernon, Waupaca and Winnebago counties may also receive aid.