Thai lunch cart changes ownership, food variety

[media-credit name=’KATE BRENNER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Suk-a-Thai-Ho_KB[/media-credit]The Sukho Thai cart on Library Mall, a popular lunchtime stop for many University of Wisconsin students, will be closing today. The cart, which opened in 1996, is owned by Nan Tana and her husband Hyde Slatter. According to Slatter, increasing operational costs are the main reason for the cart’s closing. “The restaurant business is a real struggle for independent owners,” Slatter said. The dining area of the Sukho Thai restaurant, formerly on Regent Street, was closed in April, but the kitchen was kept open to supply the cart with food. The owners had hoped this effort would be enough to lower operating costs. Slatter also said Sukho Thai could no longer compete with larger chain restaurants in terms of food prices. “We had loyal customers and a good reputation, but we couldn’t charge high-enough prices without scaring them away,” Slatter said. Slatter said he will miss being on campus and interacting with students and faculty members, as he has formed many friendships with regular customers over the years and will miss seeing them the most. One regular customer, Mitch Lundquist, who works at Memorial Library, said he is disappointed to see the Sukho Thai cart close as he enjoys its convenience and orders food there weekly. “I’m going to miss it — there are no other Thai options,” Lundquist said. The Sukho Thai cart has been purchased by a new owner, however, and will reopen this spring on Library Mall with a menu featuring Southwestern cuisine. The remodeled cart will retain the same location formally occupied by Sukho Thai. Slatter said the cart’s new owners have already managed to earn a high-enough rating to secure the ideal location of Sukho Thai for its opening in the spring. Sukho Thai and the other carts on Library Mall are periodically reviewed and their locations are dependent on the rankings they receive. Slatter also said he feels the new restaurant will be successful. “The menu looked great. I think they should do very well,” Slatter said.