Food producers seek legislative support of local campaign

The “Buy Local, Buy Wisconsin” program aiming to promote the sale of produce grown in the state is now being implemented as a part of the budget approved Tuesday by the Wisconsin state Legislature.

The program provides $600,000 over two years to farmers, communities and nonprofit organizations to develop and expand local food markets, according to a press release Wednesday from the Michael Fields Agriculture Institute.

According to program officials, Buy Local, Buy Wisconsin is the first program of its kind to promote the sale of Wisconsin grown produce in local markets.

“The goal is to shift 10 percent of the food spending in Wisconsin to locally or regionally produced,” said Jeanne Merrill, associate policy director of Michael Fields Agricultural Institute.

Last year, Wisconsin residents spent $20 billion on food. If local producers could reach just 10 percent of this number, the program would be a success, Merrill said.

The program is intended to increase economic development in Wisconsin. “[Buy Local, Buy Wisconsin] is a great boom for the economy and the health of the state,” Merrill said. “It was bipartisan, and is good for rural and urban areas.”

Local businesses, such as restaurants and groceries, will eventually have a larger market of locally and regionally grown produce to choose from as a result of the new plan.

“For some grocers and restaurants, this is an opportunity to add produce to the market that they might want to try and want to buy,” Brandon Scholz, president of Wisconsin Grocers Association said. “It also helps on the local and economic side, going to invest in their community.”

Another goal of the program, Merrill said, is to provide healthier alternatives to schools and consumers concerned about the origin of their food.

“Food culture is changing. There is a growing incentive to know more about where food is coming from, and how it’s produced,” Merrill said.

However, unlike other national suppliers of food, when coming from Wisconsin or distributors throughout the Midwest, seasonality will limit the availability of certain types of foods.

“It is important to build awareness when particular produce is available,” Merrill said.

Farmers are working on different methods of extending their growing seasons and different ways to store the produce in order to prolong its availability, Merrill added.

Yet grocers and farmers are confronted with a certain amount of risk by participating in the Buy Local, Buy Wisconsin program, according to Scholz who said it is uncertain who is supposed to be advertising and promoting the local produce. The grocer can either decide to put more money into advertising or hope that “locally grown” is enough to drive buyers to consume.

Part of the new state budget is designated to help growers improve their ability to sell their produce.

“Part of the money is going to the Department of Agricultural Technical Assistance,” Merrill said. “It also assists producers to make better connections for selling produce to a grocery store, combining efforts with other farms.”