UW running back Smith pleads guilty to charges

University of Wisconsin sophomore and Badger running back Lance Smith pled guilty in court Tuesday to charges of battery and disorderly conduct, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Smith’s run-in with the law began when an argument with his girlfriend allegedly turned violent the weekend of July 14. The dispute, which allegedly originated over cab fare, took place outside the Open Pantry on Regent Street.

Although originally arrested on the felony charges of robbery, false imprisonment and battery, his charges were later reduced to the two misdemeanors. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Tuesday evening that Smith has been referred to the Dane County’s first offender program.

“In the first offender program, the defendant is assigned a social worker in the program, and a contract is developed that would require that certain obligations be met by the defendant over a certain set time period,” said Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer.

He said the typical time period is nine months, over which the defendant must meet various requirements.

“Typically for someone with a domestic violence-related charge, they go through domestic violence classes,” Verveer said, which could include an anger management component or alcohol or drug assessment and treatment. “Another component is community service; the defendant is required to complete X amount of hours at a local charity, usually with a non-profit organization.”

Verveer said many defendants in the program choose to fulfill their service requirement at the Dane County Humane Society. Restitution is also a general requirement of the program, obliging defendants to pay for costs such as the victims’ medical expenses or lost wages.

“If they fail to complete the requirements of the program and/or are rearrested, they are terminated and sent back to the court for sentencing,” Verveer said. “A requirement is that you admit responsibility and plead guilty — you waive your right to a trial.”

The program is designed, however, to allow those without criminal records to keep their records clean.

“The record isn’t expunged, but the charges are dismissed,” Verveer said.

UW spokesperson John Lucas said the university has no further comment on the case in addition to initial statements regarding the incident.

Smith’s trial was originally set for Nov. 15. As he has been suspended from the five regular season away football games this fall, Badger fans can expect to see Smith on the field this weekend.