ASM announces election winners

As voting came to a close Thursday night, the University of Wisconsin’s Associated Students of Madison named four new representatives each for the Student Council and the Student Services Finance Committee.

There were 2,244 complete ballots cast in the elections, which accounts for approximately 5.61 percent of the UW student body.

The freshman Student Council representatives who were elected are Evan Wallach, Julie Chou, Conor O’Hagan and Lindsay Bembenek. The SSFC representatives elected are Danielle Arndt, Carl Fergus, Zorian Lasowsky and Ian Sundstrom.

Bembenek said she was thrilled when she heard the results.

"I am so excited. I’m really surprised too, I guess just because there are so many good candidates and the school is so big, I hardly know anyone as a freshman," Bembenek said. "My plans are definitely to get every freshman to know how ASM works."

New freshman representative O’Hagan outlined some plans as well.

"We get student representation on all different committees throughout campus. I also would work towards possibly getting a member on the finance committee for the state legislator," O’Hagan said, adding he would also like to see the Lakeshore path lit for the convenience of students walking at night.

The voting process went relatively smoothly this time around, according to ASM Student Election Commission chair Leah Moe. No problems were reported with the new online ballots developed by the UW Survey System.

"Overall I was pretty pleased with how things went," Moe said.

There was, however, a discrepancy with the SSFC ballot. As a result, candidates were separated by large gaps in the number of votes cast in their favor. Third-place winner Lasowsky had 1,063 votes, followed by fourth-place winner Sundstrom, who had only 14 votes.

"Every student did receive the exact same ballot, but the SSFC ballot read that there were three candidates and two votes, where it should have read that there were four candidates and three votes," Moe said.

The Student Judiciary decided preliminarily to certify the election results. Students wishing to file a complaint about the election results have until midnight Thursday, Oct. 25.