Turning a profit on safe driving

[media-credit name=’ALEC LUHN/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Scooter_Alec[/media-credit]The best part of Ben Roberts' job as a roving designated driver is the collapsible moped he rides. "It's just really fun to wheel around on a little scooter that you can fold up and put in a suitcase," the University of Wisconsin sophomore said. And the intoxicated patrons Roberts picks up for Bender Defenders, a Madison service whose drivers take customers home in their own cars, enjoy the novelty of the fold-up moped, as well. "They seem to think it's almost as cool as I think it is," he said. Bender Defenders, which is open from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday, offers rides for $15 — plus $1 to $2 per mile traveled anywhere in Madison, Fitchburg, Middleton and Monona, although longer fares can be arranged. Once a customer calls the company's hotline (442-7448, or 442-SHIT) for an immediate pick-up or a later ride, Bender Defenders will dispatch a moped driver who phones about 10 minutes beforehand to let members of the party know to finish off their drinks. When the driver arrives, he or she folds up the moped into a bag slightly smaller than a full-size suitcase, puts it in the trunk of the car and then drives the customer home. "It's to keep the streets safe from would-be drunk drivers, and to keep people who are drinking safe from getting a ticket," explained Operating Manager Erika Campbell, who runs the business with UW alumnus Braden Duszynski. A customer is required to show proof of car insurance and to sign a liability waiver. Otherwise, the service is relatively flexible, Campbell said. "We'll pick you up anywhere you're drinking," she said. "We've even taken people bar-hopping in their own car before." Since it started Sept. 8, Bender Defenders hasn't gotten more than three to four calls in a night, but response to the service has been enthusiastic, Campbell said. Many patrons insist on showing off their drivers to fellow bar-goers, and the 80-pound Italian-made moped also draws attention. Customers usually laugh at the tiny vehicle, according to driver and UW sophomore Jeff Roller. "It's such a small scooter, and I'm a big guy, so that's even more funny, the contrast," Roller said. The drivers have also found drunk people tip well. "My first tip was $30," Roller said (fares usually total around $20). "It seemed kind of exorbitant, but I was happy." Bender Defenders currently employs seven drivers, all UW students, and usually keeps one to two on duty and one on call each weekend night. The company uniform consists of a faux-tuxedo T-shirt and a red backpack. While the drivers wait for fares in areas near popular bars or scheduled entertainment, they either drive around to learn the street layout or head into establishments to hand out business cards and fliers. Bender Defenders was inspired by a similar service in London, Campbell said. Several designated driver companies have also sprung up in other American cities, including Dallas and Louisville, Ky. "Given the big drinking culture in Wisconsin and especially in Madison, it seemed silly that there wasn't something like this already in place," she said. But the lifespan of such businesses can be short, according to Brad Relander, the owner and CEO of the Wingman designated driver service in Dallas. Relander said many start-ups have failed, and that his company is the oldest of its kind after 2 1/2 years of operation. "It's definitely not an easy business to run," he said. "It takes a lot of ambition, time and persistence." Wingman caters to the well-to-do, with a clientele consisting mainly of professionals and celebrities, according to Relander. "We kind of drive home the who's who of Dallas," he said, adding that the company counts players and owners from the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers as established customers. Although his company does maintain accounts set up by parents for their kids, Relander said services like Wingman and Bender Defenders generally don't appeal to the college-age crowd. Bender Defenders has mainly served young professionals so far, Campbell said. Despite the large concentration of college students in downtown Madison, Relander said Bender Defenders could still prosper in the area. He has spoken with the operators of the Madison company to offer advice on how to raise money, find the right insurance policy for drivers and solve problems with the Di Blasi moped both companies use. "Something like this would work anywhere with the right resources, sponsorships and backing," he said. Wingman has a sponsorship deal with Coors Brewing Company, and a group of screenwriters will be including the company in a comedy movie, according to Relander. Bender Defenders is not currently working on any sponsorship deals or parent plans, but Campbell sees a future for the company in Madison. "It's just a matter of people changing their habits," Campbell said. And if the business cards and fliers don't grab potential customers' attention, the suitcase mopeds still might.