UW Stout feels budget crunch

University of Wisconsin-Stout officials once again drew attention to how the suspended state budget is affecting students at the university and throughout the University of Wisconsin System.

The budget delays have suspended the distribution of Wisconsin Higher Education Grants to students reliant on financial aid.

"We have nearly 300 students on a waiting list for WHEG grants, and we can't give them their money because we have no state budget," UW-Stout director of communications Doug Mell said. "They qualify for money we basically can't give them. It's hurting our neediest students."

Mell also said that students at UW-Stout are awaiting almost $600,000 in financial aid, and more than 5,500 students across the UW system are waiting for an excess of $10 million.

UW-Stout representatives said the budget debates are hurting the state by underfunding the university.

"It's time the Legislature understands that the university is trying to do a very important thing in the state, and that is to help the economy," Mell said. "Once students get their college education, they are going to come out and start paying taxes and basically repay the state many times over for its investment."

Mell added the budget "has created a whole lot of uncertainty among … students."

"It is very hard to plan and make any kind of improvements on campus when you don't know how much you can spend in the fiscal year," Mell said.

Josh Wescott, spokesperson for Senate Majority Leader Judy Robson, D-Beloit, said his office understands how difficult this time is for students waiting for financial aid.

"We're fighting for you, we feel your pain, and we are definitely trying to get the money coming to you," Wescott said.

Legislators said the budget will not pass as long as partisan fighting continues.

"The budget is so difficult to resolve because there are huge differences between the two sides in terms of overall spending and taxes," Assembly Speaker Mike Huebsch's spokesperson John Murray said. "Republicans have shown for the past two months that they're willing to give on certain things. We believe it's up to Gov. Doyle and the Democrats to come a little further toward us, and that's what is needed to get this thing done."

Wescott said the Republicans are very reluctant to compromise.

"They signed symbolic pledges saying they wouldn't accept a budget with any tax increases, basically saying they wouldn't accept any kind of compromise," Wescott said. "It's the politics of the few holding the entire state hostage. We just need to get the folks who have drawn the line in the sand to relent and realize that we need a state budget, and without one, thousands of students will be waiting for aid."

The budget committee goes into special session called by Gov. Doyle next Monday.

"Basically it means [Doyle] will have a budget bill before both houses of the Legislature, and Monday will be everyone's chance to get the budget done," Wescott said. "The Legislature can step up to the plate. Everybody's made their case; here's our chance now to rise above the fight and pass this thing."