Metro equips buses with hundreds of security cameras

Madison residents will see a sharp increase in the number of cameras on Metro Transit buses in the next three years.

Metro decided to equip its fleet with the cameras to help train employees, deter crime and prove particular incidents occurred.

"This is a tool to deal with any security issue that happens on Metro property," said Frank Kamp, Metro Transit general manager. "An increase in crime is a factor, but it's not the only one."

With 20 cameras currently installed, a pending request for 48 additional cameras by the end of next year, and 220 total cameras by the end of 2010, Metro Transit hopes to secure its proposed budget for funding.

The proposal for next year's budget is a departure from the original plan to install the cameras within 10-15 years, as it now includes a three-year plan that totals $429,000. Eighty percent of the cost would come from federal taxes, and 20 percent would stem from local taxes.

Additionally, Kamp said an already approved budget allows for all four transfer points to be furnished with cameras by the end of the year.

Although only 20 of 220 buses have been equipped with the cameras so far, Kamp said there have already been changes in the behavior of riders.

"It is has been a small, but important impact," Kamp said. "Since we do have a fair amount of behavior issues, I do think the security cameras add a very effective measure in identifying and eliminating any doubt. If a passenger complains, you can look at exactly what is going on."

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz also believes the installation of the cameras will have a positive impact on the Metro Transit system.

“The mayor supports the program and hopes it will be effective,” said George Twigg, communications director for Cieslewicz. “Of course, the purpose of them is to enhance safety on the buses.”

Twigg said the cameras are meant to be a crime deterrent.

“[They will] help to discourage problematic behavior, and if something does happen to have a record of that for the police to follow up on,” Twigg said.

According to Kamp, there have been few objections to the installations from drivers and residents. In this case, he said, although originally some questioned whether this was an invasion of privacy, many have come to the conclusion that the benefits of the cameras prevail over the smaller inconveniences.

"We've only had 20 cameras [installed], but already the benefits far outweigh the concerns of privacy. Metro transit operates in a public environment and has been deemed that legally," Kamp said. "There is no expectation of privacy on bus or transfer points. There are individuals that ask the question of privacy, but it is a public realm, and it's appropriate to use for training, safety and other related issues."

Kamp said it is the hope of Madison Metro Transit that the installation of the cameras, by the end of 2010, will give both residents and students an improved comfort level when riding the bus.

"Our bottom line is to make sure everyone's ride is pleasant, and the cameras will help us do that," Kamp said.