Scheub, Scott earn teaching honor

Four University of Wisconsin System professors were honored with Alliant Energy's Underkofler Excellence in Teaching Award this week.

African languages and literature professor Harold Scheub and interior design lecturer Suzanne Scott are the two UW-Madison recipients of the award. Professor Tom Neal of UW-Baraboo/Sauk County and Professor Louis Nzegwu of UW-Platteville are also award recipients.

The Underkofler award is intended to recognize outstanding teachers who have cultivated intellectual growth in their students.

David Giroux, spokesperson for the UW System, said it is important to acknowledge excellence in any workplace, adding it is especially vital for teachers.

"It's really important to recognize that their performance has a wonderful ripple effect on students for years to come," Giroux said. "Those of us who've been out of college for more years than we'd like to admit often have really vivid memories of the professors who've influenced us the most."

Professors not only help us to learn but influence our interests for graduate studies and the paths our careers take, Giroux said. Awarding teachers for their excellence is a thank-you for all the great things they've done for their students.

Scheub said he was very happy about receiving the award andadded some people have the idea that the UW is a research institution, thereby marginalizing students.

"I think that these awards emphasize that it's not a secondary interest," Scheub said. "Students and teachers are very important here, and to that extent it means a lot to me."

He said the classroom is a place of ideas, with a constant give and take between professor and student.

And after spending 10 years in Africa and writing several books, Scheub is able to incorporate his research, travels and studies into his teachings.

Scott’s students have also had the opportunity to benefit from her continually updated teachings.

"My course content and studio project experiences are continually modified to reflect emerging issues impacting the design practice and the types of problems designers are being asked to solve," Scott said.

And to continue being an effective teacher, Scott said she studies for and takes the same professional practice qualification exams that her students will eventually take.

The one thing Scheub, Scott, Neal and Nzegwu all have in common is how they continually put their students first, UW System President Kevin Reilly said at the awards ceremony.

"Student success is paramount to these four teachers, and they are most deserving of our recognition," Reilly said.

The award is given to teachers at UW campuses that fall within Alliant Energy's service area.

Each campus that falls under the service area — Madison, Platteville, Baraboo, Fond du Lac, Richland Center, Rock County and Sheboygan — can nominate up to three faculty or staff members for the award. A system committee then chooses the award recipients.

The main qualities the committee looks for in a teacher are a display of uncommon commitment, employment of unique and effective teaching strategies, and dedication to enabling students to accomplish extraordinary achievements.