New Lake Street post office serves student community

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]PostOffice_BC[/media-credit]Students will no longer have to travel far to find a United States Post Office, as Monday marked the opening of a relocated campus area University Station Post Office.

The new post office is located at 411 Lake St., where a McDonald's fast-food restaurant once resided.

The previous campus post office was located at 22 University Square, which was formerly a part of the now-demolished University Square that closed May 13, 2006.

Since the closing of the University Square Post Office, there have been a couple temporary post offices serving University of Wisconsin students and State Street residents. Throughout the summer of 2006, a temporary mobile post office was located on Library Mall and more recently, the University Book Store has been housing a temporary post office.

Terri Bouffiou, a spokesperson for the post offices in Madison, said despite the convenience, the University Book Store was not an ideal location.

"The University Book Store was a little too crowded," Bouffiou said.

However, Bouffiou said, she is confident students will appreciate the new post office.

"The new location is bigger than before and is in an ideal location," Bouffiou said. "Also, there will always be three or four clerks working at a time."

Another special feature Bouffiou said she thinks students will enjoy is the new Automated Postal Center currently being installed.

"It is much like an ATM," Bouffiou said. "The machine allows you to buy stamps and mail packages without waiting in line for a clerk."

The facility will also have extended hours — the lobby of the post office will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. On Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., customers will have access to the post office boxes as well the Automated Postal Center. Retail services will be open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

With these extensive hours, Bouffiou said it will be easy for busy students to meet their post office needs.

"We are really trying to cater to the students and their variant schedules," said Bouffiou. "I think the university community will be happy with the location and services we will be providing."

The grand opening of this new post office will take place today.