Cruise prevention bill up for debate

The growing problem of "cruising" in the Milwaukee area led Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, to propose legislation Wednesday giving municipalities the authority to decide which violations warrant towing vehicles.

Cruisers sometimes drive very slowly, which can cause large-scale traffic jams. The proposal aims to curb this pastime by allowing cities to widen the scope of violations for which a vehicle can be towed.

"During this the kids start out having fun, but we have had a couple shootings, fights, and numerous citizens have complained of [the kids] urinating and throwing garbage onto their lawns," said Tom Fischer, vice president of the Milwaukee Police Association.

Milwaukee has taken steps to crack down on cruisers by enacting an ordinance allowing law enforcement to tow the first row of slow-moving cars that cause jams.

Additionally, signs are also posted throughout the city deeming certain times illegal for cruising.

Despite these efforts, Fischer said cruising still poses a problem for the Milwaukee Police Department.

"We have to send out officers to specifically crack down on cruising–it is very costly for us," Fischer said.

The Milwaukee Police Department asked for the ability to tow cars involved in cruising for offenses other than obstructing traffic, such as public urination and littering by the drivers.

Jay Risch, spokesperson for Darling, said the senator authored the bill in response to the MPD's complaints. If passed, the legislation would give Milwaukee–as well as cities throughout the state–more power to curb this problem.

"[This bill] applies to all municipalities, but doesn't force anyone to do anything," Risch said.

Risch added the 2007 cruising season is coming to a close, as it is more popular in the summer months.

Darling's bill, Fischer said, would be of great assistance to the MPD.

"It will cut down our overtime," Fischer said.

The bill was written as a result of both a plea from the MPD and numerous complaints from members of various neighborhoods in the Milwaukee area.

"It happens late at night, there is loud music, and if you are trying to get some sleep at two in the morning it makes it difficult," Risch said.

Risch added cruising often involves several cars that ride bumper-to-bumper, often creating a parking lot of cars in the middle of an intersection.

"It's not just that intersections are blocked up, but all of sudden you have a crowd, and people are creating a disturbance so that an ambulance wouldn't be able to get through," Risch said.