Alders field queries on safety, booze

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Alders_JS[/media-credit]Three downtown Madison City Council members answered constituents' questions about issues including the new alcohol density plan and the relocation of the bar Madhatters to State Street Thursday night.

City Council President Mike Verveer, District 4, informed residents about the basics of the alcohol density plan and explained how it would help make the downtown area a more positive environment.

"In short, the plan says that in the foreseeable future we will not entertain any new tavern liquor licenses," Verveer said. "The goal is that over time, we will maintain and gradually decrease licensed establishments in the downtown area. This density plan will, hopefully, over time have a positive impact on the downtown area."

Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, said she is beginning to see alcohol as a serious issue. The concern also brought up the often hand-in-hand problem of homelessness.

"If you had asked me when I was first elected, I would not have told you [a big issue] was the interesting combination of homelessness and alcohol. But, if other people don't feel welcome or safe, that's not a good thing."

"People live in parks, cars and shelters," Rummel said. "There is this culture of fear. I am committed to figuring out solutions. I want to work with the committee. It's all of our problems. It's a whole city issue where not everyone has shelter."

Ald. Brenda Konkel, District 2, also spoke on the importance of community interaction with zoning decisions.

"We need to build a community that makes sure we're integrating everyone's needs into our infrastructure. It's an issue that really does need all the attention that it can get, but it also needs resources, and until this community really recognizes this, it will continue to be a problem," Konkel said.

In the closing statements regarding the alcohol density plan, the relocation of the bar Madhatters to the 600 block of State Street arose.

"It is a very tough question as to whether or not we should grant the transfer of the liquor license for Madhatters that has been in downtown for many years," Verveer said.

The bar recently lost its lease in the old University Square and was forced to relocate. However, the transfer of its license after the alcohol density plan was passed last week has brought up many questions.

"The alcohol density plan clearly states that a case like this allows for such a license within the downtown area," Verveer said.

However, Verveer added the issue was made more complicated because of mixed reactions from neighboring residents.

"It is a tough, tough call," Verveer said. "There was not, as I could sense, a strong neighborhood opposition. In this case, I get the sense that most people that live on State Street are university undergrads, and most of them don't really care about it."