UW weighs in on ‘Jena six’

Thousands across the United States, including some at the University of Wisconsin, responded to the incident in Jena, La., where six black teenagers were incarcerated after being accused of beating a white classmate.

The Associated Pressreported Thursday that protesters, including Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson, gathered in Jena to "Free the Jena 6," six black students who protesters believe were treated too harshly by the courts, while alleged racist actions toward the students remain unpunished.

After a black student from Jena High School sat under the “White Tree” last September — a spot dominated by upper-class white students — three nooses allegedly appeared on the White Tree. Months later, authorities reported a white student was beaten by six black classmates. The event escalated racial tension within the criminal justice system and drew national attention to the small Louisiana town.

Dennis Courtland Hayes, interim president and chief financial officer of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said in a letter the white students involved received a three-day in-school suspension for hanging the nooses.

However, Hayes said the events led to the arrest of the young black men — all currently charged with serious criminal offenses that could lead to decades in jail.

UW senior Katrina Flores, executive staff member for the Multi-Cultural Student Coalition, said she could not believe this type of racism still happens in this country.

"This is a wake-up call to America that race is an issue in today's society," Flores said. "Things like this occur every year, and we need to be proactive in discussing race in America."

Flores said students on the UW campus should respond in the same manner as they did to Virginia Tech and take action like the students in Louisiana.

"This is not just something in Louisiana but also in our backyard," Flores said. "Youth of color in Madison have the highest incarceration rates in Dane County."

Since the mid-1980s, Flores said UW has not been immune to racial issues.

Flores said MCSC came about after a mock slave auction was held on Langdon Street and in Gordon Commons, where black students were once harassed by workers.

Flores also cited the UW Police Department’s cancellation of the Lambda Theta hip-hop event last Saturday.

"We have a major issue every year," Flores said. "There are still incidents that make students feel unwelcome on this campus."

Flores said it is important to encourage students to get involved and help keep UW a forward-thinking university when it comes to racial issues.

Flores added students should attend the Plan 2008 forum on diversity next weekend and take a cultural dialogue class MCSC puts on each semester.

"We need to go out into the world and graduate as leaders for the community in terms of racial issues," Flores said.