Distinguished Lectures return to university this fall

An evolutionary biologist and a "hip-hop intellectual" will soon be coming to campus as part of an annual lecture series at the University of Wisconsin.

The Distinguished Lecture Series will return for its 20th season with author and producer Amy Goodman speaking on Sept. 7.

DLS director Aaron McKean said the series is a way to bring issues happening outside Madison to the UW campus.

"The Distinguished Lecture Series brings people from outside the campus to students and it brings them a message," McKean said. "It shows students that their university education can really be used to do influential things outside campus."

Potential lecturers are nominated by students and community members, McKean said, and are then determined depending on availability, demand and cost.

McKean said when deciding on speakers, the committee's main goal is to "meet the needs and desires of the community."

McKean added many high-profile speakers are difficult to book due to cost. For example, popular "Daily Show" host John Stewart demands a $150,000 speaking fee.

Speakers are usually not decided based on political beliefs, McKean said, but on the speaker's ability to make an "impression" on campus.

"We want to bring who's interesting, who's going to cause a stir on campus [and] who is going to direct discourse," McKean said.

The series is fully funded by student-segregated fees — which all students pay in tuition — so McKean encouraged all students to take advantage of the series.

"Our goals every week are to figure out how to get as many students as possible to our events," McKean said. "The most important things for the Distinguished Lecture Series committee is getting students to take advantage of these fantastic speakers, these influential people [and] these award winners."

UW junior Jenny Koningisor, who frequents the series, said the lectures are a way to spread influential ideas and messages that normally would not be shared on campus.

"Students can get stuck in a bubble in Madison, and [DLS] exposes students to issues outside the city, state and even the country," Koningisor said. "It's very educational, but it's not like sitting in lecture."