Get up, stand up

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Berquam[/media-credit]Dean of Students Lori Berquam is taking on some daunting challenges during her first full semester as one of the University of Wisconsin’s top administrators. In a sit-down interview with The Badger Herald, Berquam revealed that she'll face long days wearing several hats heading up student relations for the administration, but she said she wants the student voice to be heard. Berquam acknowledged the great degree of passion students at UW possess, but said one area she'd like to see more activist focus is with the War in Iraq. "I want our students to be passionate and say, ‘Get out of there,’ but I won't make them do it. It's all about the student voice," Berquam said. "Why aren't there more protests about what's happening there?" UW senior Ryan Olander said that he agrees with Berquam, and he will be organizing several events this fall, including a Sept. 26 rally on Library Mall in addition to participating in Thursday's protest of Halliburton at a career fair at the Engineering Centers Building. "There isn't enough student activism until we stop the war," Olander said. "We'll provide more opportunities this semester." After a 2006 school year speckled with safety concerns, Berquam acted quickly last spring to set up safety initiatives throughout several campus organizations. The safety task force she installed has met several times over the summer to brainstorm and execute a plan to take a proactive approach with dangers facing students on the urban campus, including a sign campaign and student-produced YouTube videos. "It'll be from a student’s point-of-view from what will be helpful,” Berquam said. “This is a great way to reach students." Berquam, along with Athletic Director Barry Alvarez, started the 2007 school year by benching UW running back Lance Smith for all away games following an incident with his girlfriend this past summer. Although head coach Bret Bielema said he'd prefer to punish his own players, Berquam said her relationship with the coach remains positive. "I can understand his desire to discipline his players his way, but every student has responsibilities to follow UW's code," Berquam said. "If we're being fair and equitable, we hold students to the same standards, and that's our job." In another attempt to be fair to students and protect them from inquiries by the Recording Industry Association of America, Berquam maintains students should not face settlement threats to simply make the problem go away. "I just don't think it should be ‘x’ thousands of dollars in settlements; that's not education," Berquam said. "That's just like, 'Let's find an easy target,' and our students shouldn't be the easy target." Another issue facing students continuing from last year, Berquam said, is the concern over control of valuable segregated fee dollars. The UW System was challenged in several instances last year resulting in the creation of a system-wide committee to establish more guidelines. "I'm actually worried about the seg fee system. I think our students are trying to do some really good things," Berquam said. "It's helpful to have the system give us some more solid guidelines." Berquam will be a part of the committee and will be joined by Student Services Finance Committee Chair Alex Gallagher to address the concerns. "To an extent, I share her concerns, but the burden really lies on the students taking ownership of the seg fees and the different groups advertising their services," Gallagher said. "I would like to see a clearer definition of the allocable and non-allocable fees — I'd like to see a clearer outline about the appeal process with the chancellor." Another financial issue to keep an eye on this semester, according to Berquam, is the battle over differential tuition throughout UW-Madison colleges. Last year, the School of Business passed such a program and a plan for the School of Engineering is pending. “If we're unable to pay faculty and staff a competitive wage we're not going to be competitive as an institution, but it's the only way to do that in some schools," Berquam said. Looking to October, Berquam is already making preparations for Halloween and endorses the city's plan to make the celebration focused on UW students and Madison community members. Berquam said she travels to State Street to observe the festivities every year and said a large number of troublemakers tend not to be UW students. "I don't think our students are volatile or destructive. Frankly, I think they want to have a good time, and I don't have a problem with having a good time," Berquam said. "I have been through some of the parking ramps and people were urinating and sleeping in cars." A committee comprised of UW students, administrators and city officials has already met several times to make preparations for a police strategy and additional music venues during the celebration. Even though Berquam faces several hot-button issues on campus entering her first official year, she still prefers face-to-face interaction with students like her tour Sunday of the newly-renovated Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity house.