City committee debates pending budget

[media-credit name=’KATE BRENNAN/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Boardofestimates_KB[/media-credit]An unknown capital budget for 2008 forced Madison City Council members last night to discuss a variety of issues, looking for room where additional funding could be attributed to priority issues like public safety.

According to Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and other members of the Board of Estimates, taking on any additional projects within the 2008 capital budget, aside from what was already proposed, is a task that could only be supported at the cost of taking funds away from more critical programs.

"I cut $24 million in budget requests just to get to $66 million, and taking on any new responsibility beyond what we already have in place, like public safety … is something that we just can't afford," Cieslewicz said.

One program, however, suggested by Ald. Brenda Konkel, District 2, did receive attention, as it theoretically would have no direct impact on the budget after effectively lowering rental housing within the city.

"Affordable rental housing is something that should be a responsibility for us," Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, said. "At least two committees can hammer out the details and then bring it back to us, because it is enough of a priority to see what the details and risks are and if it is worth pursuing."

However, Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, disagreed with Konkel and Rhodes-Conway, stating there will be too many programs in the capital budget to even possibly consider the proposal a priority — an argument Cieslewicz agreed with.

"We have a host of programs preceding this one, and we already have what can be considered more than affordable housing in Madison," Cieslewicz said. "We would do better instead to look at places out there in Dane County to see if they are not safe and well-managed."

Although no new programs were accepted into the budget at the meeting last night, existing programs that were presented to the council were thoroughly inspected for superfluous spending, such as the library expansion, Metro bus system, and even police department budgets.

Clear argued that, as the citizens of Madison are able to transport themselves around the city easily more than ever, it would not be necessary to fund the expansion of multiple library buildings when a developed central one is accessible to everyone.

In terms of the Madison Police Department budget, Rhodes-Conway and Clear also questioned whether certain firearms were necessary in their expenditures, such as the total number of Taser guns they needed, or whether the semi-automatic assault rifle with a scope is a necessary weapon for officers to carry.

Some attendees, on the other hand, thought it best to give the MPD and the Madison Fire Department what they need to keep the city safe.

"You need to make sure to give the police chief and fire chief what they need, and I don't care what you have to give up, like the proposed remodeling of this building," said Rosemary Lee, an avid attendant of public council meetings. "Public safety comes first before superficial things like the quality of a building."

Budget issues will be further discussed at a continuation of the Board of Estimates meeting today at 4:30 p.m.

Corrections: Due to a reporting error, all of Mark Clear’s quotes should have been cited to Ald. Zach Brandon, District 7. Brandon also appeared in the photo accompanying the article. We regret the errors.