City invests in fast trash

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Trash_JS[/media-credit]Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and recycling coordinator George Dreckmann introduced the new automated refuse collection system to Madison Thursday morning with a demonstration of how the new trash carts work.

The program, which will begin Monday, supplies Madison residents with new refuse carts that can be automatically lifted and dumped by the truck itself, therefore eliminating heavy lifting by the drivers.

"We're automating our garbage collection system," Dreckmann said. "And that means that there'll now be a cart for garbage and a cart for recycling."

According to George Twigg, communications director for Cieslewicz, this new system will not only reduce injuries to drivers, but it will save the city money as well.

"Our hope is that this will reduce injuries and also reduce workers' compensations cost, which is good for taxpayers," Twigg said.

Dreckmann explained the automated system will also allow drivers to cover more ground throughout the day, again reducing overall cost. Drivers will now be able to collect 250-300 more stops per day than they could previously with the manual system.

"There will be fewer drivers and fewer trucks," Dreckmann said. "Fewer trucks mean less cost."

Despite the reduction in drivers, Dreckmann said there were no layoffs as there is plenty of other work for employees to do within the system.

According to a release from the Mayor's office, the program will reduce labor costs by more than $150,000 in 2008.

Twigg said the idea of an automated trash and recycling system was proposed several years ago by the streets division. The city began the first phase of this switch with the automated recycling program about two years ago.

Twigg said Cieslewicz is hopeful about the addition of automated refuse to the system.

"He hopes that it's as successful as automating recycling has been," Twigg said.

All together, the automated trash and recycling programs are expected to save taxpayers more than $600,000 annually.

The new tan trash carts have now been distributed throughout most of the city, however 3,000-to-4,000 have yet to be delivered within the isthmus.

"We didn't want to start delivering until after everyone had moved into the downtown area," Dreckmann said.

However, Dreckmann added this new system will not affect students living in residence halls or high-rise apartments, but only those who put their garbage out on the street for collection.

To help Madison residents adjust to this change, the Mayor's office has come out with a "Top 10" list of questions and answers explaining the system.

According to the list, refuse will continue to be collected every week, and recycling every other week on the same day as one's refuse.

If residents would like to get rid of their old garbage cans, they can rinse them out and bring them to one of three drop-off sites for recycling.

The sites are located at 1501 W. Badger Rd. on the south side of Madison, 4602 Sycamore Ave. on the east side, and 402 South Point Rd. on the west side. The sites will be open daily from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., and on Tuesday and Thursday they will remain open until 8 p.m.