Educating our veterans

[media-credit name=’JAKE NAUGHTON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Vets_Fo_Vets_Fo_Real_JN[/media-credit]Although student veterans make up only a small fraction of the University of Wisconsin student body, many of them came together Wednesday as part of Wisconsin Welcome Week.

According to Vets for Vets organizer Chuck Goranson, the event was made specifically to help veterans get all the financial benefits they are entitled to because "what exactly they can get, and how, can be very, very complicated."

"The majority of veterans, when they start, don't know everything they got coming to 'em, and we want to make sure they get every nickel they can get out of it," Goranson said.

Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton, who spoke briefly at the event, joked that veterans can either get their bachelor's degree with 124 credits, "or get through the labyrinth of the various financial benefit programs offered to you and still be able to remain standing at the end of it."

Chancellor John Wiley, who was also present Wednesday night, showed his support for the program and for veterans by saying that providing an education was the least the school could do for people who put their lives on the line for their country.

"The more people we can take up the educational ladder, the better we are as a society, and that goes for everyone, but specifically today for the veterans," Wiley said.

Although many students are offered help in explaining what aid is available to them, most still find it unnecessarily complicated, as each level has its own system of funding.

Lauren Geick, who has been a member of the Air Force for more than four years, said while overall, the benefits she has received are great, and she understood the federal and state level of funding, the UW aspect still makes no sense to her.

Matthew Wiza, a four-year member of the Active Army, said that not only could the rules be clearer, but also the manner in which veterans receive aid could be more direct as opposed to a combination of help from multiple groups.

"It's good, but it can be better," Wiza said. "They are also trying to slash back on funding. Obviously, that is a negative."

Vets for Vets President Liz O'Herrien sympathized with the frustration many veterans faced with the complications of veteran benefits and said she too was in their shoes just a few years ago.

"I firsthand know how confusing veterans' benefits can be … if you don't talk to someone about it," O'Herrien said. "I didn't realize that I was eligible for financial aid until my junior year, and later I found out I was eligible for thousands of dollars, which is something you kind of curse yourself about."

Wiley shared his own problems with the issue, saying that while the state Legislature called for more veteran tuition aid, they did not allocate any additional money to the university.