Financial group elects ’07 chair

Studying abroad did not stop a University of Wisconsin student's ability to get himself elected as the new Student Services Financial Committee chair Friday, as the SSFC committee chose a fresh set of leaders for next year.

Although Alex Gallagher was in Russia at the time, he still had a close run with UW freshman Kurt Gosselin, who many board members described as "ambitious" and an "exceptional candidate."

Gallagher won with a vote of 4-3-1, but not without the help and endorsement of the members who were able to speak on his behalf.

SSFC member David Lapidus, who first endorsed Gallagher for the chair position, said he was a "good candidate for the chair" because of his "commitment and passion to SSFC," his work ethic, and his ability to communicate well, especially with student groups.

Gosselin countered by demonstrating his own prowess in administrative matters, noting his wealth of experience and his ability to learn quickly.

Although it was not enough to surpass Gallagher, many members were impressed by Gosselin and encouraged him to try again in the future.

"I'm disappointed, obviously, that I didn't get chair because it was the position that I wanted," Gosselin said. "However, I believe Gallagher will be an excellent chair, and I am definitely looking forward to … working with Gallagher and the rest of SSFC."

The position for vice chair also saw a similar contest between a present candidate, Katrina Flores, and Bryon Eagon, who lost in a vote of 6-1.

Gosselin was the lone candidate chosen for the position of secretary, and he took it with a unanimous vote.

"I hope I didn't just get the job because I was here. I hope that I got it with my merit," Flores said.

In addition to the newly selected leaders, a total of eight new members were sworn into the committee. While it will gain a few additional members, SSFC will lose Lapidus, a conservative representative, who said party lines may spell trouble for the new SSFC group.

"The biggest concern for me is that there won't be any fiscal conservatives on the committee anymore," Lapidus said. "I couldn't find anyone else who is conservative to be elected, so there may be major increases in segregated fees beyond my liking."

Flores acknowledged Lapidus' concern but stated, as always, the amount of money a group receives is a fine balance between how much they are asking for and how much they are serving students on campus.

"I think fiscal responsibility is essential to segregated fees, and people have different ideas as to [what] that is," Flores said. "If we were too frugal, that would have a large impact on how groups are able to serve students."

Committee leaders and Lapidus still all agree that the new SSFC group is going to be a hardworking, efficient and successful committee.

"I think with the new members the prospects are excellent," Gosselin said. "We should be able to get through another successful year of allocating funding and being responsible fiscally."