Cause for alarm

After the tragic events that occurred at Virginia Tech, creative writing professors have begun to examine how they will handle students whose stories pose alarming questions.

University of Wisconsin English professor Heather Dubrow is often concerned by the subject matter of students' creative writing but added it is more of a concern than an alarm.

"If a student writes on a topic that suggests she or he may be in trouble, my policy is to speak to the student privately," Dubrow said.

Dubrow said she usually addresses the issue by first realizing a majority of the student's writing may not be autobiographical at all. But if a student's work does stem from personal experiences, Dubrow said she advises students to work things out with someone by providing specific names and references of people to consult.

"I believe students should be able to write about what they want," Dubrow said. "But this creates an obligation for the teacher to make the classroom a space where tough, complex issues can be discussed sensitively."

Bob McGrath, director of counseling and consultation services at the University Health Services, said it is hard for professors to determine when writing is creative and when writing is a reflection of something bizarre.

"Perhaps when writing is disorganized, something else is going on or when material jumps from here to there," McGrath said. "At the collegiate level, quite disorganized work not following in a creative way may be questionably bizarre."

McGrath said subjects of creative writing pose concerns, but only when threats are made is there a true alarm. McGrath said writing on relationships specifically can be a bit intense for many college-aged students.

"Our message to professors is not to be alarmed but to not hesitate to approach students when readers have reactions to students' writings," McGrath said.

Besides just creative writing, McGrath said professors should be aware of their students because something like an extended absence from class can be cause for concern.

McGrath said if professors feel comfortable, it is OK for them to be the first line of communication. But he added if professors are not comfortable, they should consult the Dean of Students or Counseling Services.

With the end of the semester approaching, McGrath said the counseling services is busy with students experiencing stressful situations and relationship issues such as breakups, but added they continue to make openings for students with any concerns.