Dalai Lama begins city tour

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]DalaiLama-JS[/media-credit]The Dalai Lama arrived in Madison Wednesday afternoon to start his three-day visit, and tomorrow he will give a sold-out talk to University of Wisconsin students and community members at the Kohl Center.

The talk will also be attended by Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, who greeted the Dalai Lama upon his arrival at the airport.

"The mayor feels it's a great honor for Madison to be hosting a world leader," said George Twigg, spokesperson for Cieslewicz. "He's been here numerous times, and he has a strong connection with the community."

During his visit, the Dalai Lama will require increased security, particularly for his high-profile talks. The UW Police Department will be in charge of security at the Kohl Center event, which includes making sure the facility is secure and attendees are safe.

Lt. Bill Larson, who is in charge of special events with the UWPD, said he does not anticipate problems at the event.

"I don't think this will be the type of event that will have any disruptions," Larson said. "People who are coming to this event are coming because they want to hear [the Dalai Lama]."

However, Larson said he could not say how many officers would be policing the event or where they would be stationed, because this information might tip someone off.

Tibetan groups in Madison have been anticipating the Dalai Lama's return to Madison, including UW organization Students for a Free Tibet.

"Our organization in general, and me personally, we feel very honored he is coming to Madison, and we view this as a great opportunity," said Tom Boman, spokesperson for Students for a Free Tibet. "It was his words and what he's done in his life that inspired people to join the group and get active."

People who attend Friday's event at the Kohl Center are asked to not bring backpacks, cell phones, cameras or beverages, among other things.

In honor of the leader's visit, the Madison City Council voted to display the Tibetan flag at the City-County building on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

During his sixth visit to Madison, the Nobel Peace Prize winner will also be teaching at the Dane County Coliseum.