Wiley: Adidas issues serious

[media-credit name=’SUNDEEP MALLADI/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Labor-SM[/media-credit]Chancellor John Wiley acknowledged Wednesday that Adidas has not completely fulfilled its promise to clean up its labor practices at some of its Central American factories. During a meeting with Dawn Crim — the chancellor's assistant director of community relations, who was sent to El Salvador this month to investigate conditions at Adidas factories — Wiley said Crim discovered many things the university has "serious concerns" about. "Things may have been both as we expected, and other things that are not so good, and then there are other things that we had serious concern about," Wiley said in response to Crim's report. "We have already made a lot of progress, but the question now is how to make more." Crim was sent to El Salvador to investigate claims of worker maltreatment and what action Adidas was taking to fulfill its contract requirements. Wiley did not make a final decision about the contract at the meeting. Instead, he informed the UW community about Crim's findings and said the legal complexity of the issue requires the university to go into closed session at a later date. "In general, we came to give you an update," Wiley said. "To go further, we need to do things that we can only do in a closed session." Crim, who traveled to El Salvador with representatives from other universities — including Duke, Maryland and Colorado — said she not only visited the various facilities where the employees worked, but also spoke to many of the workers who were fired and supposedly blacklisted in the aftermath of an incident at the Hermosa factory. Most workers at the factory are currently being paid above the minimum wage of $157.25 per month, Crim said, in an area where the cost of rent and utilities is roughly $50 per month. Crim also noted that the factories the employees worked in were comparable to those found in Wisconsin in terms of cleanliness and technology. However, the investigation also uncovered that Adidas did not completely fulfill their labor quality requirements, as defined by previous rulings. "I think that the chancellor finally acknowledged that the facts are clear — that Adidas violated the code of conduct, workers lives are on the line and we need to do something," Student Labor Action Coalition member Joel Feingold said. "Now it is a question of how seriously we want to do something about it." Wiley said completely cutting ties with Adidas "is one option," but added taking a self-righteous stand would "only distance us" from influencing further progress regarding labor abroad. "It is our intention to not just let this drop," Wiley said. "We have ongoing concerns about this that need to be addressed." Some SLAC members disagreed with Wiley's statements at the meeting, citing a lack of "teeth" in the talks with the manufacturer. "I would like the chancellor to initiate the contract cut process," Feingold said. "If you show that you are not serious about the repercussions, then there would be no reason for Adidas to believe them."