City allows new bars to drink up

[media-credit name=’SUNDEEP MALLADI/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Majestic.sm[/media-credit]Two new liquor establishments will be coming to the downtown Madison area, as the Alcohol License Review Committee approved liquor licenses for the new Majestic Theater and the 111 West bar.

Even though the Majestic Theater was unanimously granted a license to serve beer and hard liquor, the license comes with several stipulations. The venue will be required to close one hour prior to bar time, have one security person for every 30 patrons and be limited to a 350-person capacity for all non-ticketed events.

These stipulations were imposed to quell public unease with the venue, which was a source of controversy after a series of violent attacks occurred outside the entrance last year.

Scott Leslie, who purchased the club along with Matt Gerding, said these stipulations are not a problem for the venue.

"From the onset, we have made an effort to be open and honest," Leslie said. "We, however, cannot be any clearer that we are not the Club Majestic and that our business plan is completely different than theirs."

Leslie and Gerding said their business plan is very different from that of Club Majestic since they never plan to be open only to serve alcohol. Their venue will only be open if an event is taking place, such as a live music performance, an art showing or a film series.

Several residents attended the meeting to speak in support of the Majestic proposal. However, Barrymore Theater owner Steve Sperling spoke against the Majestic's alcohol license, saying he was concerned about the competition to his business. He also pointed to the fact that the Majestic would be able to serve hard liquor, while the Barrymore could not — even though it has been open for more than 20 years.

Although Gerding and Leslie said they are trying to market their venue to smaller bands that would not be able to fill up a venue as large as the Barrymore, Sperling said he was not convinced.

"I think it would be naive to assume that they are not, in fact, going to be taking significant numbers of acts that fall in the middle away from other venues," Sperling said.

The beer and liquor license for 111 West — which will be located in the space at 111 W. Main St. that has been vacant for nine years — was also approved unanimously by the ALRC. Several Madison residents, including Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison, spoke at the meeting in favor of the proposed bar.

In particular, Pocan said the bar's owner, Glenn Jahns, has proven himself to be a responsible bar owner — Jahns currently owns the Shamrock bar, also located on West Main Street, which is patronized by many members of Madison's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

"I think, most importantly, that [Jahn] is exactly … the type of match you want for this parcel of property," Pocan said.

111 West will consist of three floors, two of which will serve alcohol. The third floor will be a dance floor and will not serve alcohol.

Following renovations, 111 West is expected to open this July. The Majestic Theater will close this summer to restore the theater to its original state, and is expected to open this fall in time for the return of college students.