Grainger Hall tuition to rise

OSHKOSH — The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents approved a differential tuition plan for undergraduate business students at their meeting Friday, which will require students enrolled in the Business School to pay more tuition per semester than others.

Students in the UW Business School will pay an extra $500 per semester, and students receiving a certificate in the business program will pay an additional $150 per semester.

Though the plan passed, several regents expressed concern about student involvement in the plan.

Student Regents Christopher Semenas and Thomas Shields pointed out that the Associated Students of Madison was not involved in the process and added it was forwarded to the regents with the support of the non-shared governance group Undergraduate Business Leadership Council.

Provost Patrick Farrell was on hand to defend the process UW used to gather student opinions, the issue that dominated the debate.

"Their concerns were some that we had, too. We had a good amount of high-quality input," Farrell said. "There did seem to be a lot of focus on that and little focus on the need … and the benefits that would go to students."

In response to concerns of student involvement in the decision, School of Business Dean Mike Knetter said in a phone interview with The Badger Herald that the school simply followed the procedure they were given from the UW System to gather input.

"We decided since it was not attached to courses, but the business major, it was important to talk to business students," Knetter said. "[The students] see the benefits of the program, so they can assess whether they think it'll be used to their benefit."

UW System President Kevin Reilly said a committee is analyzing the process for decisions with student involvement and will present their findings in June.

And Regent Elizabeth Burmaster said she was initially concerned with the $1,000 per year increase and added she was won over by Knetter at the committee presentation Thursday.

"The biggest issue I had was the worry of the sticker shock," Burmaster said. "It's such a large increase. Would that deter students, including low- and middle-income students?"

Knetter said he was relieved with the regents' decision and explained the 25 percent commitment to financial aid programs will help retain students who cannot afford the difference.

With a continual decrease in state funding, Knetter said they were faced with the decision as a last resort.

"This isn't something we choose to do lightly," Knetter said. "Our financing is built on a partnership with students, alumni and the state. The state is doing what it can, but it's hard for it to keep up with the rate of growth and the cost. If we can't get the money from the state, where is it going to come from?"

When asked if he sees differential tuitions becoming a trend throughout all UW programs, Farrell said a unilateral increase is preferred.

"My personal preference would be to avoid differentials and get, in a sense, more tuition across the board," Farrell said. "It tends to make it look like there are special areas that are somehow privileged over others."