Whitewater chancellor steps down

University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Chancellor Martha Saunders has accepted the role of president at the University of Southern Mississippi, announcing the move April 6.

Rep. Stephen Nass, R-Whitewater, chairman of the Assembly Colleges and Universities Committee, reacted to the announcement, saying Saunders' departure would be a setback to campus reform.

Saunders said that despite her allegiance to UW-Whitewater, the opportunity to return to her hometown in a leadership role is appealing because she will work to rebuild a campus devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

"I am mindful that I am leaving one of the finest universities in the country," Saunders said in a release. "The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater will continue to thrive because of the quality of its faculty and staff and the incredible talents of its student body."

According to a release, Nass said Saunders faced many challenges and problems left behind by the previous administration at UW-Whitewater.

"Few people will ever truly know just how hard Chancellor Saunders has worked to restore accountability and professionalism to the management of UW-Whitewater," Nass said in the release.

Nass said Saunders' aggressive approach to addressing mismanagement within UW-Whitewater has led to a return of accountability for the institution.

"I have been deservingly critical of many administrators in the UW System," Nass said. "But Chancellor Saunders is a stark contrast with her courage to address mismanagement and her mission to improve accountability in all areas at UW-Whitewater."

Unfortunately, Nass said Saunders' commendable efforts to improve academic quality for students have at times been overlooked by other issues on campus.

UW System President Kevin Reilly said in a release that Saunders' success in Wisconsin made her a strong candidate for this new leadership position.

"Wisconsin's loss is definitely Mississippi's gain," Reilly said. "This is a terrific professional and personal opportunity for Chancellor Saunders. She earned a reputation here as an astute and energetic leader and a great ambassador for our public university."

Reilly said he will name an interim chancellor soon to ensure continuity for UW-Whitewater students, faculty and staff.