Committee ponders ‘liaison’

In response to several communication breakdowns during fall 2006 budget decisions, a new position could be added to the Student Services Finance Committee responsible for communication with General Student Service Fund groups.

If approved at an upcoming meeting, the "accountability liaison" would be implemented in fall 2007 to help educate student organizations on how to draft budget proposals and to hold these organizations accountable for keeping track of paid students' hours.

"I think it is a great idea, and it will make the GSSF groups very happy," SSFC member John Tao said. "It might start off a little rough because there is a lot of work involved, but I think that afterwards it can benefit GSSF groups."

The SSFC subcommittee also debated new rules Monday night regarding eligibility criteria for approving group budgets. SSFC is the financial branch of the Associated Students of Madison, the University of Wisconsin's student government.

SSFC member David Lapidus suggested adding the eligibility criteria for groups in their budget proposals.

"Justification of this from my standpoint is that it would complement all the other criteria," Lapidus said. "It might make [new members] think that they have only to go on these criteria. I think it would provide freedom for them, because it is a bit more vague."

SSFC Chair Zach Frey echoed the concern of other SSFC members, pointing out the open-ended nature of their rules.

Ultimately, there was no addition made, but Lapidus offered to reconsider the change by coming up with a more specific framework for the proposal.

Attendance issues also became a point of debate as SSFC members have in some instances left after opening roll call and failed to return.

"We have deadlines and we meet them, and [leaving] is not acceptable behavior. Right now there is no way to prevent that," Frey said. "What we should do is, if people are not there for closing roll call, then they get an unexcused absence for that."

Some members thought the rules were too much to remember and got too specific.

"Most people just come when they can," SSFC member Mike Kelly said.

However, the group did finally agree to change the policy by adding an additional absence classification to members who are not present for closing role call.