Officials question existence of alleged ‘brain drain’

Though lawmakers and economic forecasters may disagree whether Wisconsin really suffers from a so-called "brain drain," officials across the state are examining the challenge of retaining and recruiting college graduates.

Brain drain is the term used to describe the departure of college-educated young professionals to big cities outside of Wisconsin.

"[Graduates] are going to look for other states because they can't afford to live and work here," state Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said. "Taxes are too high, and the graduates are not going to be able to afford them."

Suder said a number of legislators are making efforts to reduce the brain drain by creating legislation that would provide loan or tuition forgiveness for professionals who stay in Wisconsin for a certain number of years.

"I think there has been improvement in keeping our graduates in the state," Suder said, "but we clearly have a ways to go in terms of reducing our taxes and creating more jobs."

However, University of Wisconsin System spokesperson David Giroux said Wisconsin does not suffer from a brain drain, but rather a lacking "brain gain."

"Too often people use [brain drain] to describe the outflow of college-educated people from Wisconsin. In fact, if you look at the numbers, at least 70 percent of UW graduates will still be in Wisconsin five years after graduation," Giroux said. "We really fall behind in attracting college-educated workers from other states."

According to Giroux, a collective private, state and local government investment in job creation and business development would be necessary to improve the recruitment of young professionals.

"It's about creating the kinds of businesses that will hire college-educated workers, creating communities where these businesses will want to be located and creating the workers to fulfill those jobs," Giroux added.

Some officials, like Tom Still, who advises economic development as president of the Wisconsin Technology Council, say Wisconsin has plenty of job opportunities for young professionals, but the state has not marketed itself well to graduates.

"The thing that we don't do a really good job on is attracting young adults from other states, and we need to make sure that young people know there are great opportunities here," Still said. "A lot of young people outside of Wisconsin may think that the state is just beer, brats and cheese, and this image needs to be dispelled."

When asked about the likelihood of staying in Wisconsin after graduation, several UW students expressed concern with the state's job market and lack of cultural diversity.

UW junior John Oliver said Wisconsin may be a great place to obtain an education, but it lacks opportunities compared to larger metropolitan cities like his hometown of Los Angeles.

"I personally feel that Madison is a great place to pursue entrepreneurship and smaller scale management positions," Oliver said, "but maybe not so much if you're looking to be CEO of a Fortune 500 company."

UW senior Chenyu Wang said the research opportunities and social atmosphere in the Madison campus are very attractive, but called Wisconsin "too culturally homogenous."

"I wouldn't stay here after graduation simply because Wisconsin is not a very exciting state overall," Wang said. "I would possibly stay at UW-Madison for law school, but afterward I wouldn't live here even if I were offered a high paying job. Money isn't everything."