UW stands by Adidas

[media-credit name=’SUNDEEP MALLADI/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Shoes-SM[/media-credit]In spite of mounting pressure to sever ties with Adidas, Chancellor John Wiley announced Wednesday that the University of Wisconsin would not terminate its licensing contract with the athletic apparel company. However, in an effort to address criticism from labor advocacy groups, Wiley said the university would meet with Adidas executives and send an envoy to El Salvador to investigate claims of worker mistreatment at one of the company's factories. "Our emphasis is on working with the contractual partner to 'cure' the identified failures in performance," Wiley said in a statement released by UW. "Bottom line, if there has been a breach of (the code), I intend to do everything necessary to confirm it and to address the problem immediately." At the center of the debate is the alleged mistreatment of workers at Hermosa Manufacturing, a factory in Apopa, El Salvador, contracted by Adidas to produce apparel between 2000 and 2002. According to the UW release, when the plant closed in 2005, 260 workers were dismissed without receiving $825,000 in back pay or severance. Accusations also arose that some unionized workers were put on a "black list" for labor activism. During its Feb. 23 meeting, UW's own Labor Licensing Policy Committee drafted a letter urging Wiley to break ties with Adidas over the reported worker mistreatment. The official supplier of UW athletic uniforms and equipment, Adidas' agreement with UW through 2011 and is worth approximately $1.2 million per year. According to LaMarr Billups, head of LLPC, Wiley is "gravely concerned" with the issues surrounding Adidas, and is planning to summit with the company's CEO and senior executive leadership to discuss the current situation. Wiley also plans to send Dawn Crim, assistant director of community relations in the chancellor's office, to El Salvador next month with a delegation from the Worker Rights Consortium. However, members of the Student Labor Action Coalition — which has led the campus push for UW to abandon its contract with Adidas — said they were upset with Wiley's decision to turndown the LLPC's call to action. "Basically every time we students and LLPC request decisive action by the administration, they seem to drag their feet," SLAC member Nick Limbeck said. "It seems unnecessary to send the people all the way to El Salvador. In the past, the university has cut ties with companies, so we see no reason why they don't do the same with Adidas." SLAC members rallied outside Bascom Hall yesterday to voice their displeasure with Wiley's decision and made their way inside, where they hung several pairs of shoes on Wiley's door handle. The protest comes on the heels of the papier-m?