Contest to decide speaker

Speaking in front of 5,000 fresh-faced students is a rare opportunity in any setting, but it could become reality for the winner of the University of Wisconsin's essay contest announced Monday.

Now in its second year, the student contest allows one member of the UW student body to speak at the convocation ceremony held at the Kohl Center each fall.

"Last year was the first year it was opened to the entire campus community to see if anyone wanted to address — the first student spoke and had a tremendous experience," Wisconsin Welcome coordinator Kathy Kruse said. "It's open to everyone — they submit an essay, and we read though them and forward the top three to the chancellor."

Kruse added about 15 students wrote essays last year, but said they anticipate a much higher number of submissions for 2007.

UW senior Holly Bertera won the essay contest in 2006 based on a letter to her sister about transitioning to college life from high school.

"The experience of writing the essay, entering the contest and then delivering the keynote speech at the convocation ceremony was unbelievable," Bertera said in an e-mail. "Writing the essay and winning the contest was its own reward, for me. But having the opportunity to deliver it to my friends, family, and a group of over 4,000 incoming students was truly the chance of a lifetime."

Kruse said the content of the essay is limited to 1,000 words and includes topics like leadership, housing, campus climate, diversity, academic life, learning communities, athletics or Greek life.

Bertera said the opportunity to speak in front of the large group and sit with Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and Chancellor John Wiley was incentive enough — along with the feeling of contributing to the university.

"It has also given me a sense of belonging on campus, which can be difficult to achieve at UW-Madison," Bertera wrote. "Whenever someone recognizes me, I feel like I left my mark here."

Kruse said students may enter by e-mailing their essays to [email protected] with their name, year in school, major and hometown by April 25.