Students host fundraiser for hunger

Swiping a Wiscard on campus today could have a little more significance at the University of Wisconsin.

The Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group is sponsoring "The Hunger Clean-Up Food Swipe" today at Holt and Gordon Commons from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., according to event co-organizer Emily Christian.

UW students will have the opportunity to add a set amount of money onto their tabs at the food service locations to help curb homelessness and hunger both in Madison and across the nation.

"The food swipe is a fundraiser for the Hunger Clean-Up, one of the largest one-day community service events," Christian said.

WISPIRG member Rachel Butler said the event is an opportunity for students to take action against homelessness and hunger in the Madison community.

"The food swipe is a really easy way and reminder to students 'I'm buying my meal, and not everybody can do that,'" Butler said. "I think it's really important as a human being to be aware of what's going on around us every time we walk down State Street — hunger and homelessness are right here in our community."

Christian said the money raised would go to the national Hunger Clean-Up program, occurring on April 14, where half of the funds will be donated to Madison homelessness agency Porchlight and half to national efforts.

With 21 locations in the Madison community, Porchlight Development Director Catherine Davey said coupling with the student effort is vital.

"Porchlight has been right next to campus for quite some time; we've been trying to build more relationships," Davey said. "It's a natural partnership to capture the energy and enthusiasm of students put to practical problems in the community around them."

Davey added the agency has faced particular challenges this winter with an increase in the drop-in shelter's numbers, believing "the timing couldn't be better for the students to step up and help us out."

According to Christian, "Every dollar donated could potentially provide seven meals for homeless in Madison."

Davey said citizens volunteer around six nights per year to cook meals at their shelters.

And the money could also help Porchlight in several other services that the agency provides.

"Donations to Porchlight will go to a variety of programs," Davey said. "We are a lot more than the emergency shelter; our whole goal is to get people out of the shelters and into long-term supported housing programs."

In order to donate money, UW Food Service manager Brian Burke said students would need to make a special request to cashiers, as they will not be asking for donations.

Burke said the university food service takes part in similar fundraising efforts every year.

"We're glad to do it, we wouldn't do it if the residents wouldn't want it; so if they ask us to do it, we'll be glad to do it," Burke said. "[W]e'll be responsive to the residents in any way we can. I imagine there is some cost to some degree, but that's minor."

WISPIRG will hold an informational meeting for volunteers for the Hunger Clean-Up March 13 at 7:00 p.m. at Memorial Union.