Muñoz gives Allen support

Former Madison mayoral candidate Peter Muñoz officially gave his endorsement to Ray Allen Thursday at a press conference held on the steps of the city's Water Utility building.

Allen, who received 30 percent of the vote in February's primary election, will face Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, who received 58 percent of the vote, in this April's general election.

"I think that there are a lot of people out there that are like Peter, that thought this mayor was going to be something different than he turned out to be four years ago," said Semmi Pasha, spokesperson for Allen and treasurer for his campaign.

Muñoz, who was an aide in former mayor Sue Bauman's administration, supported Cieslewicz's campaign in 2003. Muñoz received about 10 percent of the primary vote this year.

"All the reasons why I ran are reasons why I don't support [Cieslewicz]," Muñoz said. "I don't support his fiscal irresponsibility, I don't support his willingness to spend $200 million on trolleys while our services are lacking, and I think that Ray's going to be a better mayor."

Since the primary election, Muñoz has returned to his position as executive director of the Madison non-profit Centro Hispano. As the organization is non-partisan, Muñoz took a leave of absence while he pursued his bid for mayor.

According to Megan McGrorty, campaign manager for Cieslewicz, Muñoz's endorsement of Allen was not a surprise.

"Peter did say that he was going to endorse Ray on election night," McGrorty said. "This was expected."

Since the primary, Pasha said Allen has been working with Muñoz to draw in those people who supported the Centro Hispano director in February.

"Peter's reached out on Ray's behalf, and they're both working to bring people who supported Peter and getting them to support Ray," Pasha said.

Muñoz said he and Allen discussed similar issues during their campaigns, including ways to improve city services and address the causes of crime, pushing him to encourage others to consider voting for Allen.

Cieslewicz has also been reaching out to former Muñoz supporters since the primary. And McGrorty added not all Muñoz supporters will automatically become supporters of Allen.

"Everyone that we have called so far that was a Peter supporter has come over to endorse us," McGrorty said.

Overall, Pasha said Allen is pleased to receive Muñoz's support and help with his campaign.

"Ray and Peter are friends, and he's very grateful for Peter's support, advice and counsel," Pasha said.

So far, Cieslewicz has received endorsements from the Dane County Democratic Party, the University of Wisconsin College Democrats, Gov. Jim Doyle and U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., among others. Allen has yet to release names of his endorsers.

Neither Cieslewicz nor Allen has received an endorsement thus far from the other former mayoral candidate and retired biochemist Will Sandstrom.

"We would welcome his endorsement," McGrorty said.