Lawmakers react to added analysts

With support from key lawmakers, it appears the Department of Justice may receive 31 new analysts to address the mounting case evidence backlog at the State Crime Laboratory.

The Joint Finance Committee unanimously approved funding the new positions Wednesday night as part of a compromise bill that distributes remaining dollars from the previous biennial budget.

The so-called budget repair bill will head to the state Senate and Assembly, where leaders expect it to pass, and then to Gov. Jim Doyle who may support additional positions.

Senate Majority Leader Judy Robson, D-Beloit, doesn't foresee many amendments on the Senate floor since the bill was the result of a bipartisan compromise. Eight Democrats and eight Republicans from both Houses sit on the Joint Finance Committee.

"[Robson] was certainly engaged with negotiations [Wednesday], so she certainly supports what's come out of that meeting," said Josh Wescott, a spokesperson for Robson.

Assembly Speaker Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem, also supports the new positions.

"Because of the devastating impact the backlog has on victims and families, Assembly Republicans are committed to addressing this emergency situation by providing the additional resources for the Department of Justice immediately," Huebsch said in a Feb. 16 newsletter.

The proposed 31 analysts would help address an estimated backlog of 1,800 cases that developed from the increased use of DNA technology in criminal investigations. DOJ officials hope the new positions will help eliminate the backlog by 2010.

DOJ spokesperson Kevin St. John said the new, mostly entry-level positions could be filled by July, though it depends on when Doyle eventually signs the bill.

"Every indication that we have from the governor and the Legislature is that they support solving the DNA backlog," St. John said.

Dane County District Attorney Brian Blanchard said more DNA analysts at the crime lab would help convictions and exonerations around the state and is therefore a "great investment in justice."

Faster evidence turnaround would also help prosecute criminals.

"Generally speaking, a delay helps the defense," said Blanchard, who added victims' memories may fade or witnesses may become difficult to locate. "Delays tend to reduce our effectiveness and it's hard on victims."

Delays can happen for a lot of reasons, Blanchard added, but in any case, they give people the opportunity to repeat or commit additional crimes.

"I find it very easy to imagine crimes committed while there's a delay in prosecution," Blanchard said.

Wescott said the Senate will likely address the budget repair bill during its next session date, scheduled for March 13, the same date as the Assembly's next scheduled session.

No Huebsch spokesperson was available for comment at press time.