Woods drafts campus safety initiative

Aldermanic candidate and University of Wisconsin senior Lauren Woods issued a plan yesterday in which she outlines six ways to improve safety in the campus area.

The plan, titled "A Progressive Plan for Campus Safety," addresses issues such as the recent increase in sexual assaults, the proposed Alcohol Density Plan and how to improve communication between the Madison Police and UW Police.

"In order to service the voters, I wanted to show that I do have a plan for safety on this campus," said Woods, who is running for Common Council President Austin King's soon-to-be vacant District 8 alder seat. "Up until this point, there has not been a lot of talk about a plan, especially from my opponent."

Woods will face UW sophomore Eli Judge in the April election. King, who has held the District 8 seat since 2003, decided not to seek re-election this year in order to pursue a law degree.

In the first part of her plan, Woods calls for increased pedestrian-scale lighting. But Rich Dovere, campaign manager for Judge, said this is part of Woods' plan that would not necessarily improve safety downtown.

"People are victims of crime in low-lighting situations and in high-lighting situations," Dovere said, although he added Judge also advocates for the expansion of "pedestrian-scale lighting in poorly lit areas" on his campaign website.

But in her plan, Woods said increased lighting would make streets feel safer and more comfortable by increasing pedestrian traffic.

In addition to better pedestrian lighting, Woods' plan also calls for increased neighborhood policing, more police sensitivity in dealing with sexual assault victims and for the problem of poverty in Madison to be solved in order to address the root causes of crime.

"The thing that really impressed me about this is that Lauren is highlighting a sort of philosophical approach," said King, who is also Woods' campaign treasurer. "I've never seen a local candidate put this much thought into issues that really deserve this much thought."

But Dovere criticized the broadness of Wood's 17-page plan, and said that it does not address the needs of District 8.

"There seems to be kind of a lot of idealistic ignorance in this type of plan, where it's not things that necessarily really relate to the city as a whole," Dovere said, adding that many of Woods' plans have already been proposed by Judge.

Both candidates have expressed frustration with local law enforcement for spending time and effort searching for underage drinkers in downtown bars and house parties instead of increasing their presence on the street. Judge has called for increased accountability from the MPD and the UWPD, and Woods said she would like increased cooperation between the two departments.

The Madison general election will take place April 3.