Barrows to take further legal action

After losing his appeal with the Federal Appeals Court Friday, a former University of Wisconsin administrator is moving on to other legal action.

Dr. Paul Barrows, former UW vice chancellor, lost his case in the Federal 7th Circuit Court of Appeals after arguing UW violated his 14th Amendment right to due process by placing him on unpaid administrative leave after sexual harassment allegations in 2004.

According to Barrows' attorney, Lester Pines, they will move forward with a similar case against a former dean of students at UW now that the appeal is complete.

"The lawsuit against Luoluo Hong is pending in state court," Pines said. "It stayed until the 7th Court made its decision."

Pines said it would take a "little while" for him and Barrows to organize the next phase of their lawsuits.

In addition to the case against Hong, Pines said they would also move forward with a case filed against UW where Chancellor John Wiley allegedly promised to match a job offer Barrows received from a university in New York in April 2005.

"[We'll continue] with the case before the claims board regarding Dr. Barrows turning down the position at Hunter College in return for a job at UW for $150,000," Pines added.

Although Barrows decided to stay at UW, he was reportedly paid less than half the promised amount — about $73,000.

Barrows, who joined the university in 1989, decided on early retirement in November 2006 when he told The Badger Herald he no longer wanted to be on "a team that's rotten at the core."

Since the initial due process complaint was denied at the state level, Pines said they were not surprised by the decision Friday, but are hopeful for the upcoming two cases.

"These are still viable claims of course — we've known since district court that the federal claim might not be viable," Pines said. "We were hopeful that they would reverse it, but the case already had been dismissed, so this is not that big of a blow."

Amy Toburen of UW Communications said the decision Friday was a continuation of the three-year process with the former vice chancellor.

"I think this is just another step in this particular case," Toburen said. "We are glad that the facts were understood, and the court agreed with our case."