Election may be holiday

A state lawmaker introduced legislation Monday that would make Election Day in November a state holiday.

"It just seems like common sense to me that our democracy would be better served if a civic holiday were created for elections," said state Rep. John Zepnick, D-Milwaukee, in a statement.

Zepnick added it is difficult for many people to find the time to vote on Election Day.

"Why is it that we still cannot provide the voters of Wisconsin the opportunity to go to the polls … without the hassle of waking up extra early, missing dinner or using their lunch break?" Zepnick said in the statement.

Current law requires every employer in Wisconsin to allow at least three hours off from work to employees for the purpose of voting. The employer may designate the time at which employees are permitted to take off of work.

Zepnick's bill would make Election Day — the Tuesday after the first Monday of November of all even-numbered years — a state holiday.

A similar bill was introduced in 2005, but it was turned down by Senate vote.

According to Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, the bill did not pass because Republicans, the majority party at the time, opposed the initiative.

"The difference [now] is that the Senate is controlled by Democrats," Black said. "And that changes the political balance of power."

Black said three hours is not a sufficient amount of time for voters, especially when some citizens need to travel long distances.

"I know many people who work on Election Day and have trouble getting to the polls," Black said, "especially if they have to wait in line."

However, UW political science professor Charles Franklin said voter turnout would probably not increase due to a day off on Election Day.

"I think the evidence is pretty clear that most people who don't vote do so because they're not motivated to vote, rather than because of structural barriers like not being able to get off work," Franklin said. "Motivation is far and away the more important factor now than institutional or structural barriers."

Most European countries have voting polls on Sundays, Franklin added, and the United States is one of only a few countries that hold elections on weekdays.

However, UW political science and women's studies professor Virginia Sapiro said a state holiday would close schools and create another hassle for parents, who would then have to take care of their children at home.

"I don't necessarily see that it would increase the voter turnout," Sapiro said. "Americans have a habit of turning holidays into a shopping day, and I'm not sure if dropping everything for a full day off would increase the turnout."

State Rep. Robin Vos, R-Racine, said the bill is "kind of a goofy idea."

"I certainly don't think we should require employers in the state of Wisconsin to give employees a day off of work to do something that shouldn't take more than one hour," Vos said. "The idea of increasing voter turnout is one that everybody supports, and that is why the polls are opened before people go to work, and they're still open after they finish."