Suspect in Witte Hall robbery faces 15 years in jail

The man who allegedly attacked a University of Wisconsin student in Witte Hall Feb. 6 was charged on four counts by the Dane County Circuit Court Tuesday.

According to Dane County Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer, the criminal complaint charged Brian Buhler, 39, with intimidation of a victim, burglary, robbery and misdemeanor battery after he allegedly violently threatened two UW students and took $40.

Buhler later admitted to using the money to buy beer at a local tavern, according to the criminal complaint.

Buhler, who turned himself over to police on unrelated charges and was arrested for the Witte crime Feb. 8, is in jail on $55,000 bond, Verveer said.

"[Buhler] faces charges and jail time up to 15 years," Verveer said. "Even if he does post bail, he will still be in prison. … He is no longer a threat or a danger to the community."

In the complaint, Buhler said he had been drinking all day at a bar on Park Street before the attack, and he also admitted to having smoked more than $40 worth of crack at a Park Street gas station and the Regent Street McDonald's before wandering onto the UW campus.

By waiting outside the doors of UW residence halls, Buhler was able to follow students into the buildings and stay there for warmth, Verveer said. And according to the complaint, Buhler said that while in Witte Hall, he decided he needed more money and was coming down from his drug high.

"It's ironic, because there's a posting on the door (to Witte) that says 'Don't let anyone in that you don't know,'" UW Dean of Students Lori Berquam said. "The house fellows have since brought it up in meetings."

The complaint also said when Buhler passed the open door in Witte Hall, he thought there was only one female in the room and decided to enter because of the easy escape location next to the stairwell.

The two female victims reported in the complaint that Buhler held an empty bottle of tequila, and after being grabbed by the throat and pushed against the wall, the victim said she was afraid Buhler would break the bottle over her head.

According to Berquam, the victims are still dealing with the violent and sudden attack, and she said this event will probably have a lasting impact on the students.

UW residence hall staff, Berquam added, will continue to work with the victims and help them in any way possible.

"[I]t goes without saying that I think we are very glad (police charged the suspect)," Berquam said. "Obviously this helps our campus community and helps our students a great deal, but it's unfortunate the impact this had on the two women."