Policy targets alcohol intake

A controversial policy introduced by the University of Wisconsin Student Organization Office may drastically limit the consumption of alcohol by student organization members both on and off campus.

The proposal, though in its preliminary stages, has already caused a stir among registered student organization members and has them worried about its broad guidelines.

"It's very vague — the term 'student group' is vague because you can be a [registered student organization] and it can just be you and your friends hanging socially," Associated Students of Madison chair Dylan Rath said. "I think it's just too much of a blanket policy."

In the draft, now circulating student organization leaders, UW calls for "group responsibility" by defining "clear and concise alcohol standards and measures of accountability" regarding alcohol consumption.

Interim Associate Dean of Students Elton Crim said the decision to draft the policy stemmed from a UW System conference last year regarding legal concerns.

"It has got all to do with risk management and liability issues having to do with university organizations and clubs," Crim said, "very similar to issues that stem out of Greek life."

According to Wisconsin Union Directorate member Mitra Jalali, students against the proposal are hosting a meeting at 8:30 tonight in the Memorial Union, and will discuss strategies for a press conference Tuesday evening officially opposing the proposal.

Crim said the proposed policy aims to set standards for UW-sponsored activities. The policy is not an attempt to broadly prohibit alcohol among all student organization members, he added.

According to Crim, the students behind the rally are from Hoofers, a UW outdoor recreation organization. Crim added they were invited to discuss the policy, but cut off communication because they were unhappy with the direction.

"So rather than continuing, they've chosen to have this press conference and say we're trying to install some type of Prohibition," Crim said, "which simply isn't true."

No one from Hoofers could be reached for comment late Sunday.

Rachel Butler, a member of the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group, said she is confused as to why registered student organization members were specifically targeted by the policy.

And Jalali said the UW administration aimed the policy toward the most involved students on campus.

"It targets [registered student organizations] because they have contact info and know how to get a hold of them," Jalali said. "To be placing restrictions on them is unfair."

Rath also said he is worried the policy will backfire and end up punishing some of the most responsible students on campus. Many students also expressed concern about programs that may be harmed, such as wine-appreciation and bartending mini-classes offered through the university.

Crim said the policy would not be enforced by the administration unless behavior also breaks other UW standards.

"Really, to be quite honest, there's absolutely no way to enforce it," Crim said. "Much like with Greek life, if we get reports then those reports would be investigated and put to a committee with staff and students, and those students adjudicate their own process. It's not administrators unless they rose to a level of egregious behavior."

Butler said the policy appears to be UW administration treating students without respect for their decision making.

"From what I've seen, it does look like this is another step to taking a bite out of student rights," Butler said. "It's treating students — who are adults — like we can't make our decisions. I think that's unfortunate."