Doyle invests in more state land

Gov. Jim Doyle proposed purchasing more land across Wisconsin in his budget Feb. 13, allocating $105 million annually toward the Stewardship Fund.

State officials may use money from the Knowles-Nelson Stewardship Fund to purchase Wisconsin land to become — or remain — property of the state.

Doyle's proposed budget increases funding by 75 percent from $60 million annually.

Steve Hiniker, executive director of the nonprofit conservation group 1,000 Friends of Wisconsin, called Doyle's budget probably the "greenest budget" of a generation.

"We strongly support the program and think that the governor has proposed a terrific budget," Hiniker said. "Much of the really valuable lands are not in the state's hands, and this [fund] allows the state to purchase these properties."

Some lawmakers, however, question the Stewardship Fund's affordability.

According to state Rep. Kitty Rhoades, R-Hudson, chair of the Assembly Finance Committee, money used to support the Stewardship Fund initiative is borrowed and may constitute a risky investment for the state.

"By 2011, the interest payment would be over $1 billion a year," Rhoades said. "At that level of borrowing, we have a concern if in the future we will be able to pay it off."

Rhoades said lawmakers need to consider budgeting property taxes on state-purchased land because it could pose a major concern in the long run.

"We pay the municipalities an amount in lieu of taxes, and we don't know how much that is," Rhoades added.

Rhoades said she is also concerned with the proposal because the Legislature has no official input on which lands are purchased. There is no process which allows the Legislature to review what lands are being bought.

During his Feb. 13 budget address, Doyle also proposed reinstating the Office of the Public Intervener.

According to Hiniker, the move will "save taxpayers millions of dollars while ensuring the public interest is protected in natural resource issues."

The office of the Public Intervener was initiated in 1967 under Republican Gov. Warren Knowles to protect public rights in state's natural resources. Republican Gov. Tommy Thompson terminated the office in 1995 through signed legislation.

Doyle's budget is currently being revised by the bipartisan Joint Finance Committee and will later be sent to the Senate and Assembly.

If the houses pass different versions, a conference committee will be enacted to obtain common ground.

The Joint Finance Committee will hold public hearings discussing the biennial state budget during late March and early April, taking place in Milwaukee, the De Forest area, Chippewa Falls, Prairie du Chien, Rhinelander and Green Bay.