Chamber of Commerce makes its picks

Madison's business community formally endorsed City Council candidates running in the April election for the first time in history Wednesday.

The Greater Madison Chamber of Commerce publicly announced its 11 endorsements for the City Council Wednesday evening.

"It's only been in the last two years that the business community has actively gotten engaged … in testifying before public hearings and contacting their aldermen or the mayor's office on issues," said Delora Newton, executive vice president of the GMCC.

Candidates were selected for endorsement if their political beliefs reflected those of the GMCC, Newton added.

All 46 aldermanic candidates were mailed questionnaires, and those candidates who answered in line with GMCC positions were called in for subsequent interviews with members of the organization's board of directors and members of the small business advisory council.

"I am pleased," said Ald. Paul Skidmore, District 9, who received an endorsement from the GMCC. "I think that somebody who has a business here and contributes to the fabric of the community, whether they own a home or rent a home or own a business, they are as much a part of the community as anyone else."

Skidmore added he was not surprised the GMCC chose this year to make its first endorsement, since he sensed the organization was concerned about the direction the City Council was taking.

The GMCC and the City Council have clashed on a number of issues recently, including proposals to raise the city's minimum wage, institute a citywide smoking ban and provide paid sick leave to employees.

However, Ald. Robbie Webber, District 5, said she supported all these proposals, but did not receive an endorsement from the GMCC. The organization instead chose to endorse her challenger, Troy Thiel, a real-estate sales associate for First Weber.

"I didn't ask for their endorsement, and a lot of the decisions, a lot of the votes that I've made are not necessarily in line with what the chamber would like to see on the City Council," Webber said. "I would have been shocked if they had even considered me."

However, Newton said the GMCC did not endorse Webber because she tends to vote against what the organization's positions are. According to GMCC's website, Webber did not return the questionnaire.

Thiel said he is pleased with his endorsement and understands the importance of the city's businesses.

"The Madison business community is a very progressive business community and does a lot of great things," Thiel said. "I look forward to working with them."

Although the GMCC does not plan on campaigning for its endorsees, Newton said she hopes the endorsements help members of the organization and the public become more aware about this April's elections.

"If you can grow jobs and grow the economy, you put more money into the system," Newton said. "Which means people get better-paying jobs, and they can afford more goods and services and you have more money in your community programs to help those who need it."

The GMCC, which was created 54 years ago, has added a spring-election section to its website since making its endorsement.

Other candidates receiving endorsements from the GMCC are Ald. Jed Sandborn, District 1; Ald. Lauren Cnare, District 3; Ald. Zach Brandon, District 7; Ald. Bruer, District 14; Ald. Judy Compton, District 16; and new candidates Mark Deadman, Joe Clausius, Michael Schumacher and Thuy Pham-Remmele.