Mayor: recycling work

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced last week that his new recycling programs have diverted 57 percent of Madison's waste from landfills and could save $400,000 per year.

The city introduced automated recycling trucks last year with robotic arms to pick up recycling bins. The other major initiative converts old lumber or furniture, sometimes through shredding, into useful products such as mulch or park paths.

"[Our new recycling programs] have exceeded expectations in terms of increase in the amount of recycling," said George Twigg, communications director for Cieslewicz. "We originally had modest expectations but the city is saving $400,000 per year."

The recycling projects are part of the mayor's "Taxpayer Relief through Innovative Measures," which has helped increase curbside recycling by 35 percent, according to a statement released by the mayor's office.

But the projects are not without concerns from Cieslewicz's opponents in this April's mayoral election, as some of the smallest size recycling bins are not fitting on the trucks.

"Why aren't they thinking it through without planning it?" mayoral candidate Ray Allen asked. "The problem is the city government gets blinders on about policies they want to implement, much like with the trolleys. Either the large bins are too big to store or the small bins don't fit on the truck."

The mayor's office acknowledged there have been some small problems with robotic arms being able to grab and hold on to small bins.

"It isn't a major problem," Twigg said. "Overall, the program has been a big success."

The mayor's two recycling programs are the beginning of other innovative projects that will be implemented to improve Madison's garbage management. Cieslewicz plans to add automated trash this fall, hoping to save more money for the city, so that fewer trucks will be needed to get to residents' homes.

This plan will require Madison citizens to use new trashcans that can be easily picked up by the robotic arms on the trucks. There is also hope that more garbage will be added to the list of recyclable items.

Allen said the program would negatively affect the elderly or disabled who might be unable to move such large bins.

The city's streets and recycling website says the city will have an assistance program implemented to help people who have visited their physician and confirmed that they are unable to move their own bins.

According to the statement from the mayor's office, the recycle rate in Wisconsin is 36 percent and the national rate is 32 percent. Madison has had 51 percent for the past five years and is starting to improve since the mayor's new recycling programs.

"Part of the mayor's overall effort (is) to make city government more efficient," Twigg said. "Now it is easier for people to recycle, so it is a win-win situation."